Send mail to distribution list but not enough members

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
cuong.phan1

Send mail to distribution list but not enough members

Post by cuong.phan1 »

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with sending emails to a distribution list of 1620 people.

Many times I received feedback from users that they did not receive any emails from me. Although I sent them by email to distribution list.

I checked the list of members in that distribution list, obviously they are on the list.

Next I checked to zimbra.log. And use wc -l to count. It was a surprise when the Distribution list was missing members from the distribution list.

Code: Select all

~/libexec/zmmsgtrace -s myuser@mydomain -r mydistribution@mydomain /var/log/zimbra.log-20211125.gz | grep originally | wc -l # Result: 1034
I don't understand why it is missing like that when sending email.

I have tried many times with command:

zmprov gdl mydistribution@mydomain | grep zimbraMailForwardingAddress | awk '{print $2} ' | wc -l # Result: 1620 
It is full for 1620 people.

Please give me advice how to send to distribution and everyone in that distribution can receive my email. Or How can I trouble shot what exactly the problem was?

Thank you.
gabrieles
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: Send mail to distribution list but not enough members

Post by gabrieles »

postfix virtual_alias_expansion_limit is limited to 1000 recipients by default
cuong.phan1

Post by cuong.phan1 »

Many thanks to Gabrieles for your answer.

I tested today adjusting virtual_alias_expansion_limit to the value 2000. But it still doesn't seem to work. :cry:

#sudo postconf virtual_alias_expansion_limit
virtual_alias_expansion_limit = 2000

~/libexec/zmmsgtrace -s myuser@mydomain -r mydistribution@mydomain | grep origin | wc -l
It should be equal to the number of members in the distribution list of 1620 people. :roll:
Which doesn't seem to be any better than before the adjustment. Do you have any further clarifications or suggestions?

Thank you very much.
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 P12

Post by ccelis5215 »

cuong.phan1 wrote:Many thanks to Gabrieles for your answer.

I tested today adjusting virtual_alias_expansion_limit to the value 2000. But it still doesn't seem to work. :cry:

#sudo postconf virtual_alias_expansion_limit
virtual_alias_expansion_limit = 2000

~/libexec/zmmsgtrace -s myuser@mydomain -r mydistribution@mydomain | grep origin | wc -l
It should be equal to the number of members in the distribution list of 1620 people. :roll:
Which doesn't seem to be any better than before the adjustment. Do you have any further clarifications or suggestions?

Thank you very much.
Hi, take a look https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Postconf_keys

ccelis