How to Monitor Hardware and Server performance of Zimbra?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
damend

How to Monitor Hardware and Server performance of Zimbra?

Post by damend »

Hi,

How do you guys monitor your zimbra hardware and server performance?

I couldnt find any fixes regarding server statistics in gui.
gui server stat.png
gui server stat.png (14.06 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
Need something similar like these two:
https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-mo ... -telegraf/
https://www.tecmint.com/monitor-centos- ... rformance/
Please comment if you have tried deploying any of the above and your experiences.

Important infos I need are cpu, ram, disk utilizations, which we can view in browser all the time.
It is realtime monitoring, if there is any, will it add huge toll on my server?

Here are my server details.
zim ver.png
zim ver.png (5.97 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
cpu.png
cpu.png (1.52 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
ram.png
ram.png (3.08 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
disk.png
disk.png (17.36 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
As per the IT guy who installed the server (which is not from this company), this was built only for around 50 users. and now we are almost at 100.

What server upgrades do you recommend? This is not in vm, btw.
Aside from the RAM that i can see that the current usage is at 6gb/8gb, do you recommend an ASAP upgrade of the RAM to 16gb?
If yes, what are the things need to consider before upgrading?

I know everything above sounds basic to you, but pls bear with my questions.
THanks!
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: How to Monitor Hardware and Server performance of Zimbra?

Post by phoenix »

Well, the problem with your post is that you've given no details of your Zimbra version. You should always give your Zimbra version (yes it does matter) by posting the full output of the following command:

Code: Select all

zmcontrol -v
FWIW, the use of Adobe Flash was discontinued a while back (31st December 2020), I'm guessing your ZCS server also needs upgrading to the most recent release.

If you want to monitor your ZCS server, take a look at Netdata - you will find detailed articles on the internet about using it to monitor your server, try searching first. ;)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
damend

Post by damend »

phoenix wrote:Well, the problem with your post is that you've given no details of your Zimbra version. You should always give your Zimbra version (yes it does matter) by posting the full output of the following command:

zmcontrol -v
FWIW, the use of Adobe Flash was discontinued a while back (31st December 2020), I'm guessing your ZCS server also needs upgrading to the most recent release.

If you want to monitor your ZCS server, take a look at Netdata - you will find detailed articles on the internet about using it to monitor your server, try searching first. ;)

Thank you for your response Sir.
I have included my zimbra version in my post above, reuploading here:
zim ver.png
zim ver.png (5.97 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
Do I need to upgrade to latest release?
Currently we do not have any issues, but if upgrading would increase security and performance, should i consider upgrading RAM first?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

You should always keep your server software up-to-date, You could even upgrade to a Zimbra 9 server, there's versions built by some forum members or by Zextras (at zextras.com), you can get the download details from the web site. Obviously you should take a backup of your current server before doing any upgrade.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
andras0602
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15

Post by andras0602 »

Have you tried to clear/move the previous data?

mv /opt/zimbra/zmstat /opt/zimbra/zmstat_$(date -I)
mkdir /opt/zimbra/zmstat
chown zimbra:zimbra /opt/zimbra/zmstat
systemctl restart zimbra.service
You can probably get the same with the sysstat package and sar command. (I would also recommend the bcc-tools package but it wouldn't work with your current kernel.)

There is never enough resource for Java applications but in my experience you should have a fast storage under Zimbra (SSD) as it can be quite... hectic.
Especially when you restart the server/service. For me it sometimes starts to compress-decompress logs like hell (ie. the stats you need) and makes a huge load on the server which makes it basically unusable - on HDD.
So maybe the guy who installed your server turned those metrics off intentionally?