Reverse DNS location

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Ambidexterity

Reverse DNS location

Post by Ambidexterity »

I have a question about Reverse DNS, where should I set this up?
Is this in the DNS settings where my domain name is located or is that in my Zimbra configuration?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Reverse DNS location

Post by phoenix »

Usually your reverse DNS is configured by your ISP so I'd suggest you contact them or check the terms of your ISP connection, obviously you'd need to be on a fixed IP for that to happen. This question has been asked and answered many times in these forums (and on an internet search).
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Ambidexterity

Post by Ambidexterity »

Dear Phoenix, Thank you for your reply.
It is true that there is a lot about this on the internet, there is so much on the internet that you can no longer see clearly what is correct and what is not.
I thought this should be set in the DNS setting at my ISP (TransIP.nl) but they say it isn't and that I should look at the mail server side.
That's why I'd rather ask here which way I should go with my search.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Bill is correct (as always!), but technically, PTR records are configured by the entity that owns the public IP(s) you are using.

If you do a "whois" on your public IP, you'll see who owns that IP and then you can contact them. And if it is TransIP.nl, then I'd ask to get your ticket escalated as the support person with whom you spoke either misunderstood your request or doesn't understand how PTR records in public DNS work.

Hope that helps,
Mark
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Ambidexterity wrote:I thought this should be set in the DNS setting at my ISP (TransIP.nl) but they say it isn't and that I should look at the mail server side.
Sorry, I assumed you were hosting the ZCS server on your own IP address from your 'home' internet service provider. If this ZCS server is hosted on a VPS by that company then take a look at this article: https://www.transip.nl/knowledgebase/ar ... -voor-vps/ - that seems to contradict what they've told you.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
Ambidexterity

Post by Ambidexterity »

Sorry, my communication error, I should have described the situation better.

The ZCS is located at my own location behind a WAN IP from the ISP, the domain name is at TransIP.
The site does not run on a VPS, this is a hosting with DNS capabilities.

My english is not the best unfortunately, and I see that I wrote my ISP (TransIP), only TransIP is only a hosting, the ISP is another company.

It seems to me that I should not arrange this with the ISP, or am I wrong?
TransIP tells me to do this in the ZCS, but this doesn't come out as security.
When I look at the DNS settings, I can't choose PTR under Type, but I can choose NAPTR, but this is something else.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

OK, that's a bit more clear. If you're on a 'private' fixed IP at your ISP then I'd be surprised if they don#'t set the reverse DNS for your IP/ZCS server, very few ISPs allow the user to set the reverse DNS - mine does but it's no that common.

The question is now what's the name of your hosting company, could you give us their web site address?
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
Ambidexterity

Post by Ambidexterity »

Sorry for the late response, I was busy with a very tiring job ;-)

The company where our website is located and the DNS settings is TransIP.nl

The internet connection is the NDIX.net, in between is Weserve.nl, Voicedata.nl and only then you have our connection.

The ZCS is located in our server room.

If I read Mark's response (Thu May 19, 2022 1:54 pm) and I understand correctly, he writes that the PTR is set at the owner of the public IP address.

Once, a long time ago I arranged this already, but I thought in the DNS. I always keep screenshots of DNS settings, but couldn't find anything in them.
I started looking in old e-mails and came across an e-mail from EspriteTelecom, which is now Ziggo's, from 2013. They were our internet supplier at the time and I arranged that with them.

I'm going to send an e-mail with a question and request to our ISP and see what comes of this.

I'll post what comes out of this later.
Ambidexterity

Post by Ambidexterity »

Yes, it works ;)

It must be arranged with the internet service provider. Got an email this morning saying it's done and it's working.
I'm going to test tonight.

Thanks for the help.