Multiple server communication

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
JCOSS

Multiple server communication

Post by JCOSS »

Good Afternoon,

I'm having an issue that started after migration to version 8.8.15_GA_4180.FOSS. We have 3 servers setup for 3 different departments Police, Fire, and Civilian servers. The Civilian servers are primary and previously could communicate internally to FD and PD without routing to the web. This is causing issues for some un authenticated servers that mail out notifications to these departments the email is sent but unable to find FD and PD servers but if they users email exists on Civilian servers it works totally fine. Does zimbra hold some sort of Host file or other option I can input the other 2 server IP's so these un authenticated mailers are able to reach these addresses? The specific system we are having issues with are legacy and we can not just add a authenticated account for it to use.

Example
Avaya server sends out voicemails to users. Users on Civilian servers are able to receive these emails from the voicemail server. Users on the PD and FD servers can not longer receive these voicemails because its trying to route through the web and firewalls and come back into the servers without authentication.

Everything that can be done with the avaya server has been, we believe the problem is with zimbra due to the fact it was a full reset other than user data with this upgrade.

So basically is their a way to link all 3 of these zimbra servers to communicate internally without routing to the web or through our firewalls. Previously if a FD user emailed a PD user we were not seeing this traffic in our firewall. Now we do because its going out to the web and coming back.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Re: Multiple server communication

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Different components in Zimbra rely on /etc/hosts while others rely on DNS. Zimbra needs to find itself at its private IP in a NAT environment to work correctly.

So this sounds like a DNS and /etc/hosts issue.

I would make sure that all three servers’ correctly formatted entries are in all three servers’ /etc/hosts file, and the resolver used by all thee servers resolves each server’s A record with the private IP of the server.

Hope that helps,
Mark
JCOSS

Re: Multiple server communication

Post by JCOSS »

L. Mark Stone wrote:Different components in Zimbra rely on /etc/hosts while others rely on DNS. Zimbra needs to find itself at its private IP in a NAT environment to work correctly.

So this sounds like a DNS and /etc/hosts issue.

I would make sure that all three servers’ correctly formatted entries are in all three servers’ /etc/hosts file, and the resolver used by all thee servers resolves each server’s A record with the private IP of the server.

Hope that helps,
Mark
So I booted up the old servers to do some testing, they do not have any of this information in the hosts file. I also initially thought this was the issue but it worked without them in the past. "This worked before the migration and none of the old configurations were changed" I mean it wouldn't hurt to throw the local IPV4 in anyways for all three servers. Will do some testing outside of business hours but if I can recall someone had already tried this in the past.