1 user gets smime.p7m while others receive correctly

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
paskk

1 user gets smime.p7m while others receive correctly

Post by paskk »

Hi,

I am at a loss why this is happening. One of our users gets certain e-mails as smime.p7m attachment with : this message is encrypted
While others (even in cc of the same e-mail) see the e-mail correctly with the attachments intact and fully readable/downloadable

I checked the settings as much as I could and everything seem to match between users.
Is there anyone who has faced this before or could point me in the right direction where to look for this.

As when I try to search I generally get pointed to the "siging" of e-mails which is not what is happening right now.

Thanks in advance.

Paskk
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: 1 user gets smime.p7m while others receive correctly

Post by phoenix »

How is this user trying to access these emails, is it through the web UI or via an email client and if so what is the client and are others using the same client without problems?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
paskk

Post by paskk »

phoenix wrote:How is this user trying to access these emails, is it through the web UI or via an email client and if so what is the client and are others using the same client without problems?
Everyone uses the webmail and everyone uses firefox (latest)
I am at a loss
paskk

Post by paskk »

is there no one who can help?

I am seeing multiple users who have 0 issues and others who cant see the e-mail and get smime.p7m as attachment
I have been looking at the Zm attributes, options etc but nothing seems off on the accounts that do not work.

It would be really helpfull if someone could share insight where the decryption of the smime e-mail is done?
Maybe I can find something in a certain log. as I can't seem to find anything right now.

If I cant get this fixed somehow I fear we will sadly be forced to leave the zimbra platform.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Have you looked at any of the documentation on this feature or even tried a search? How about this for a start: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/How_to_con ... ra_Webmail:
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
paskk

Post by paskk »

phoenix wrote:Have you looked at any of the documentation on this feature or even tried a search? How about this for a start: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/How_to_con ... ra_Webmail:
We do not want to send smime e-mails. The post is completly on how to set it up. I stated this aswell, that this is not the case with the problem.

We want to receive smime e-mails which for some reason, most users can but a couple can not as they get a smime.p7m attachment and a blanco e-mail while the same cc'ed e-mai to someone else works
There is nowhere to be anything found that goes "wrong"
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

paskk wrote:
phoenix wrote:Have you looked at any of the documentation on this feature or even tried a search? How about this for a start: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/How_to_con ... ra_Webmail:
We do not want to send smime e-mails. The post is completly on how to set it up.
Yes, I know I can read and the page also covers 'reading' an s/mime email, did you lokk at the part about that?
paskk wrote: I stated this as well, that this is not the case with the problem.
The important paragraph on that page is this:
In order to encrypt, you must have previously received a signed message from that user, such that Zimbra has stored the public S/MIME certificate for that other user. A digital id or digital certificate consists of a public and private key. Your public key is shared with everyone. Your private key is kept private.
Has your user imported the certificate (or even tried) from that email?
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
paskk

Post by paskk »

phoenix wrote:
paskk wrote:
We do not want to send smime e-mails. The post is completly on how to set it up.
Yes, I know I can read and the page also covers 'reading' an s/mime email, did you lokk at the part about that?
paskk wrote: I stated this as well, that this is not the case with the problem.
The important paragraph on that page is this:
In order to encrypt, you must have previously received a signed message from that user, such that Zimbra has stored the public S/MIME certificate for that other user. A digital id or digital certificate consists of a public and private key. Your public key is shared with everyone. Your private key is kept private.
Has your user imported the certificate (or even tried) from that email?
I am not sure you fully grasp the problem, we do not want to encrypt anything. So we do not need the cert of the user.
secondly It's working for some users with 0 issues, no imports of keys or anything. What I am saying is it's not working for some but I can not find the issues why it's not working for those people.
There is literlly nothing to be found in logs anywhere about smime messages. Atleast I can not find them.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

You're right, I'm too stupid to understand what you're talking about so I'll leave you to solve your own problem
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

Any chance that user has a different Class of Service assigned - one without S/MIME enabled?