can't send mails to internet with same domain-name

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
waintdeir

Post by waintdeir »

hi,
i have a problem configuring the zimbra-server to send emails from our local server to the internet with the same domain (for example @company.com)
example:
i can send and recieve email between our local accounts and any external provider (user1@company.com userX@hotmail.com for example)

i can receive emails from external over the internet in the same domain (userExternal@company.com ---> CompanyMailProvider ---> [fetchmail to internal Server] ---> userInternal@company.com)

i can send email between 2 local accounts (user1@company.com user2@company.com)
what i can't is to send mails from internal accounts to external accounts in the same domain via Internet ( userInternal@company.com --X--> CompanyMailProvider ---> userExternal@company.com)
what do i need to configure that our server only handles all our internal emails locally?? and sends all other email (even with same domain) to our CompanyMailProvire (here: 1und1.de)??
greetings, waintdeir
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Split Domain is what you're looking for, search the wiki and the forums for details.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
waintdeir

Post by waintdeir »

thanks,
but when i read about this "tutorial", how does the zimbra-server know which mails are local and which mails have to be sent over internet?
EDIT: our scenario is "configuring Zimbra as the secondary system"
EDIT2: or is Zimbra first trying to send local, and if this fails, trying to send via internet?
EDIT3: what do i need to change/setup/configure on our Zimbra-server that i enable the split-domain-settings on a runnning system? we are online since 5 days and all emails with the same domain are not going out of our company...they get rejected... is there a setting in the admin console that i can change to enable this?
waintdeir

Post by waintdeir »

now i want to configure my server as secondary system.
i have to enter this as told in the tutorial:
$ zmprov md mydomain.at zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @mydomain.at

$ zmprov md mydomain.at zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @mydomain.at

$ zmprov md mydomain.at zimbraMailTransport smtp.onlineprovider.de
am i right about "smtp.onlineprovider.de" ???
and if i wanna go back, where are theese settings saved, that i can undo this changes????
1542brian
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 1542brian »

zimbraMailTransport should be in the form of protocol:host:port with :port being optional and defaulting to :25 if not specified. For your example smtp:smtp.onlineprovider.de:25
You can set these attributes to null to undo changes.

zmprov md mydomain.at zimbraMailCatchAllAddress ''
waintdeir

Post by waintdeir »

thank you, everything is working now.
Just for everybody else having the same problems:
it was correct to cunfigure our system as a secondary one.

we also had to configure TLS-Authenification (enable SMTP authentification) (Infos: Outgoing SMTP Authentication - Zimbra :: Wiki) and do some additional settings (Infos: Postfix) like my workmate found out.
Problem solved.

Regards
waintdeir