Licensing NE for use as a secondary server in single domain with Zimbra CE as primary

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
15132Equation

Licensing NE for use as a secondary server in single domain with Zimbra CE as primary

Post by 15132Equation »

Hi,

I want to have Zimbra CE mixed with NE on same domain. I have read the spilt domain doc but still have a problem with the user licensing of the NE server. As ALL users have to be present on both servers how does one avoid the user limit on the NE server?

I have tried adding the user on the NE box that lives on the CE box but it still takes up a license?

What am I missing?.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="15132Equation"]Hi,

I want to have Zimbra CE mixed with NE on same domain. I have read the spilt domain doc but still have a problem with the user licensing of the NE server. As ALL users have to be present on both servers how does one avoid the user limit on the NE server?

I have tried adding the user on the NE box that lives on the CE box but it still takes up a license?

What am I missing?.[/QUOTE]You're missing the fact that what you're trying to do is not possible, this has been answered many times in the forums and you cannot mix a bunch of NE user and 'OSS users' on the same server.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
15132Equation

Post by 15132Equation »

Where did I say that it was "on the same server"?

I am using 2 servers
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="15132Equation"]Where did I say that it was "on the same server"?

I am using 2 servers[/QUOTE]How about in these statements:
[quote user="15132Equation"]I want to have Zimbra CE mixed with NE on same domain.[/QUOTE]
[quote user="15132Equation"]As ALL users have to be present on both servers how does one avoid the user limit on the NE server?[/QUOTE]The implication in that second statement is that you have a license for 'n' users and you're trying to provision n+x (in excess of the NE licence).
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
15132Equation

Post by 15132Equation »

Do you not understand my question?

I will try and re phrase.

I have 2 TWO different servers.

1 the primary running either postfix or Zimbra CE

2 the secondary running Zimbra NE for only a portion of the users on the domain.

As per the split domain doc and logically the secondary server NE must know about ALL the users in order to send mail to them on the primary.

As soon as you need to add these users you use up a license (or do you and that is my question.)

Is this the case or is there some other way to tell Zimbra NE of the users on the primary server WITHOUT using a license?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="15132Equation"]Do you not understand my question?[/QUOTE]I perfectly understand the question, do you not understand the answer I gave you in my first reply? I'll state it again quite simply, you can't do it.
[quote user="15132Equation"]I will try and re phrase.

I have 2 TWO different servers.

1 the primary running either postfix or Zimbra CE

2 the secondary running Zimbra NE for only a portion of the users on the domain.

As per the split domain doc and logically the secondary server NE must know about ALL the users in order to send mail to them on the primary.

As soon as you need to add these users you use up a license (or do you and that is my question.)

Is this the case or is there some other way to tell Zimbra NE of the users on the primary server WITHOUT using a license?[/QUOTE]The first point is that I don't understand why you're trying to use a Network Edition of Zimbra as a Secondary server in a single domain such as you've described above. The Split Domain is used when you want to move users permanently from one server (usually another server such as Exchange) to Zimbra. What are you trying to achieve with this configuration? What do you actually mean by a 'Secondary server'?
If you want all of the users to exist on both servers then you will have to get an NE license for the total number of users that you have on your first server.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
15132Equation

Post by 15132Equation »

My reason is the same as was posted in thread http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administra ... tions.html many years ago.

I have users that don't need or want to pay for the features of NE.

I can do this with Exchange without a licensing issue.
The point is that the POP users on the CE server only need to be present on the NE server in order to tell the NE server where its mailbox lives.

They are not using the NE server at all yet they must still have a license?

Does that make sense to you?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="15132Equation"]The point is that the POP users on the CE server only need to be present on the NE server in order to tell the NE server where its mailbox lives.

They are not using the NE server at all yet they must still have a license?[/QUOTE]If you provision a user on the NE server then they will need a licence, you won't be able to mix & match the NE & OSS servers in the same domain in the scenario you've configured.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
13445raj
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 13445raj »

yes you can use both CE and NE on two different servers no one can stop you from doing it..wont get support from Zimbra guys for your CE setup or if you tell them you doing this :)..but hey..we are here to help
what you need is

1) Make Zimbra CE as your primary MX IN and also SMTP Out

2) Create ALL users in Zimbra CE and FWD using split domain documentation the users which EXIST in NE only

3) Zimbra NE will only have few users you want

4) Zimbra NE will hand over all email to Zimbra CE as outgoing as SMTP relay
Cons:

you cannot share resources (Cal,GAL etc) Across to servers but i guess you know that
works for sure ..

Raj