Zimbra Open Edition and Outlook 2007 question

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
internaut19

Post by internaut19 »

Hi World,
We just started to use the Zimbra Server Open Edition version 7.2 in our company and we use Outlook as the main client application.
We have an AD with which we authenticate our users and we created aliases for some users something like sales1@domain.com, sales2@domain.com.
Now, the management is asking if possible for those users to be able to send emails as their aliases ... A solution to the problem was to enable the FROM field when a new message is composed in Outlook and the user could type the email address that he wants to appear in the sent field and the user at the other end would receive a message with the On Behalf Message.

I managed to find "hack" in the forums which will allow me to remove the On Behalf Message but the problem with this now is that the user can type any email address he wants even send a message as the president of the company ...
I unchecked the "Allow sending email from any address" setting in the preferences of those users and typed the alias email address for that user but still no go ... So how can I allow those users to send emails as their aliases ONLY ??
Thanks,

Chris.
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by soxfan »

If you are using Outlook with the OSE of Zimbra I'm guessing you are doing IMAP (or maybe POP3). Not sure it really matters, but just trying to get a better picture of your set-up.
So, when you say management wants these users to be able to send as their aliases is this an either or situation, as in sometimes the users would send as their own address and other times it would be as the alias? I'm thinking you want both because otherwise you could just setup Outlook with an email address, but use different logon information. Not to throw you an anchor, but isn't this really an Outlook issue / limitation? I can't think of any setting in Zimbra that would fix this. If you were using the Zimbra Web Client you could use the "Persona" feature, but I don't think that is going to help you with Outlook.
internaut19

Post by internaut19 »

Indeed we are using IMAP and the best case scenario would be that the users could send emails as their own account and alias.
As a last resort we could switch from alias to a second account for those users but I want to see if there are other options.
We would like to use only Outlook as email client so the web interface is not an option.
Thanks,

Chris.