Zimbra in Production and Reselling!

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
sebpayne

Post by sebpayne »

Just discovered Zimbra and it looks totally sweet! After experimenting with Scalix Community Edition for a week, Zimbra looks like paradise with AJAX UI, SpamAssassin, ClamAV and iCal support!
Just three questions before I started moving our companies' server over to Zimbra (I am the MD so I can :eek: )
a.) Will Zimbra always be open source?

b.) What is the release schedule/version numbering?

c.) Does it work with Debian/CentOS?
Seb Payne

Managing Director - EvolutionConsultancy

http://www.evolutionconsultancy.com
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Welcome Seb.

a) Yes.

b) We've got milestone 1 out there now. Milestone 2(aka M2) will be coming very soon. At that time we'll also offer the first beta of our Network edition. We don't have a schedule persay but generally release new milestone when they contain new features of acceptable quality. As for versioning... Version 1.x was for private alpha when we were in stealth mode. Version 2 was the first open source release. We currently are working on version 3 which is nearing it's 2n milestone release.

c) We officially support Red Hat Enterprise Rel 4 and Fedora Core 3. If you search our foums you'll see that folks have got it working on many other platforms.
sebpayne

Post by sebpayne »

Wow! Quick response. I am installing CentOS 4.2 now on our server :) Hope you saw my application for partnership!
For my customers, Outlook is very important so this Network edition sounds sweet!
sebpayne

Post by sebpayne »

Just a thoughts:
What about a Wiki? Other projects such as Hula and Mozilla use Wikis which would allow as a good place for community contributions. MediaWiki is pretty sweet!
Also, what about enabling avatars on the forum so we can personalise ourselves ;)
Thanks
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="sebpayne"]Just a thoughts:
What about a Wiki? Other projects such as Hula and Mozilla use Wikis which would allow as a good place for community contributions. MediaWiki is pretty sweet!
Also, what about enabling avatars on the forum so we can personalise ourselves ;)
Thanks[/QUOTE]
We've thought about this and use a wiki internally but for the time being we going to just stick to the forums. I'll turn on avatars and see how it goes. Just don't want it to get out of control.