Ldap

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
mr.telnet

Ldap

Post by mr.telnet »

On OpenSource M2 I am trying to access LDAP with a windows client and am using uid=zimbra,cn=admins,cn=zimbra as the User DN but i have no clue as to what to use as the password. Please Help. :mad: :confused: :confused:
mr.telnet

Ldap

Post by mr.telnet »

thx :) :) :) :)
jgao
Advanced member
Advanced member

Ldap

Post by jgao »

After zimbra installed, how to access its LDAP using third party tool? What're the accounts installed with zimbra, and their passwords?
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Ldap

Post by marcmac »

zmlocalconfig -s | grep ldap will show the DN and password
jgao
Advanced member
Advanced member

Ldap

Post by jgao »

I noticed that the zimbra LDAP anonymous login is on by default.
What's the reason?
How to turn it off in slapd.conf?
concept

Ldap

Post by concept »

I've noticed that the ldap server does not require authentication also. So if it were open on the internet, anybody could connect with an ldap client and view your GAL. Is there a way to require authenticatiion for accessing the the zimbra ldap server?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Ldap

Post by 14319KevinH »

We've tighten this down in the GA release. In general you don't want your LDAP server on the internet. It's just not a good idea to open it up like that. There should be a way to set a password for LDAP GAL access. Might want to look at the Open LDAP docs.
14240scottp

Ldap

Post by 14240scottp »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]We've tighten this down in the GA release. In general you don't want your LDAP server on the internet. It's just not a good idea to open it up like that. There should be a way to set a password for LDAP GAL access. Might want to look at the Open LDAP docs.[/QUOTE]
That is excellent. I was about to start a thread on the fact that the LDAP server is completely open, meaning that our friendly spammers can now read and confirm every one of our address very easily, not counting customers stealing data, and of course the fact that we would be breaking all Australia Privacy laws by providing an open access list.
I have installed the latest Debian Package (as of March 2006) 3.0.1 - and it is still open. I have been reading the OpenLDAP docs and found the obvious line to insert is disallow bind_simple_unprotected - but it does not work. Perhaps slapd on Zimbra is not using the /opt/zimbra/openldap/etc/openldap/slapd.conf file.
Regarding the above - I have noticed a number of conf files where it is hard to figure out which is valid - there is a few duplicates, some in the etc/conf dir and some in the etc/conf dir of the actual application.
Can you help with the LDAP config to secure the lookups.
Thanks
Scott
14240scottp

Ldap

Post by 14240scottp »

[quote user="14240scottp"]Zimbra is not using the /opt/zimbra/openldap/etc/openldap/slapd.conf file.[/QUOTE]
Ahhh this was in fact the case. However, if I add the
disallow bind_simple_unprotected
Line to the configuration, then Zimbra will no longer startup, I assume that the local system does not login/bind.
So I need to be able to disallow external, but allow local IP connections.
Scott
bobby
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Ldap

Post by bobby »

[QUOTE]So I need to be able to disallow external, but allow local IP connections

[/QUOTE]
is the server not behind a firewall?