M3-436 mail UI seems to be behaving improperly

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
adobrin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by adobrin »

After upgrading to M3-436 the UI seems to be behaving strangely.
Initial load of the UI shows "Show Preview Pane" as the main drop down selection for "View" (it should not be there, it should list "Message" and "Conversation"). This problem fixes itself after a bit of fooling around. (but only for that session.).
Some (appearing to be HTML messages) are not loading when I double click on them. Initially (before the "preview pane" problem is fixed) clicking on messages adds a "sash" control to the screen, kindof right under the Zimbra logo. After the other problem has been fixed, it drills down appropriately to the "Message View". However clicking on HTML messages in Message view loads a blank email with only the "External images have not been displayed" dialog (this button does nothing).
I don't appear to have any errors in zimbra.log, /v/l/messages or /v/l/secure. I haven't gotten any complaints from any other users, so this may not be reproducable on windows. I have reproduced it under FF1.5 on Ubuntu Linux (two separate machines).
I thought initially this could be a javascript caching problem, but after several refreshes, it continues.
adobrin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by adobrin »

I cleared the Cache in the browser. The "Sash" issue seems to have been corrected. I still am not correctly displaying those HTML pages. (same effect, blank page, "images were not displayed" dialog, with no effect). I am fairly certain they were displaying correctly under the previous build.
bobby
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by bobby »

i don't know if this fits your observation, but the View dropdown menu will only show Reading Pane while viewing a specific conversation in Conversation View.
we have bug 5100 open about some (multipart mime) messages not displaying; it *does* happen in firefox on windows and mac as well. we're still tracking down the problem, so you can send us the full mime message (as an attachment) if you'd like.
adobrin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by adobrin »

Bobby, the problem was most likely because of cached javascript, but i was seeing the option from the "Message View" in the "Conversation View". Regardless, that issue was solved by clearing cache.
As far as the MIME messages, these are messages that were displaying properly in M2/M3-346, and just after upgrading to M3-436 began to not display. It appears to be *all* HTML messages, though attachments are working correctly.
adobrin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by adobrin »

sorry for the confusion, but i've now reproduced the Sash issue after cache was clearer. After refreshing, I am brought into the Conversation View, but the "View" button has "Reading Pane" as its only option. (It should say here "Message View, Conversation view"). I get a resize sash placed in an odd place with no window attached to it. If i deselect Reading Pane, which was previously selected, then double click on a message, it drills me down to the Message view, then i can close out of the message view, and the Conversation View has the correct options listed in the view button.
this symptom may occur after attempting to open a HTML message that is not displayable from the converation view.
This error from zimbra.log may also be useful

2006-01-10 00:23:11,193 INFO [Convertd-28] [] ProtocolHandler - Exception occurred while handling connection

java.nio.channels.AsynchronousCloseException

at java.nio.channels.spi.AbstractInterruptibleChannel.end(AbstractInterruptibleChannel.java:185)

at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(SocketChannelImpl.java:236)

at sun.nio.ch.SocketAdaptor$SocketInputStream.read(SocketAdaptor.java:171)

at sun.nio.ch.ChannelInputStream.read(ChannelInputStream.java:86)

at java.io.InputStream.read(InputStream.java:89)

at sun.nio.ch.ChannelInputStream.read(ChannelInputStream.java:64)

at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:66)

at com.zimbra.cs.convertd.TransformationHandler.processCommand(TransformationHandler.java:95)

at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.processConnection(ProtocolHandler.java:230)

at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.run(ProtocolHandler.java:197) at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

bobby
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by bobby »

could you post a screenshot of the sash? i don't think i've seen that before. that java error doesn't look related on the surface; or maybe to the html message not displaying
adobrin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by adobrin »

This occurs after opening the eFax message, pretty sure any HTML formatted message (maybe with tables?) will produce the same effect.
btw. you all should increase the file size limits for uploads.
edit: to clarify, the redacted message list is in "Conversation View" not "Message View."
sash.zip
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="adobrin"]btw. you all should increase the file size limits for uploads.[/QUOTE]
I bumped .zip and .tgz files to 150k which will let you attach larger files if they are compressed. Current limit for most image sizes is 75k. Raw .txt files can be 40k.
adobrin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by adobrin »

Observation, not sure if you've all seen this. It appears that *all* the messages render properly if you hit "Reply" from the Conversation View.
adobrin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by adobrin »

dunno if this helps at all. ?debug=3 returns;

----- ***** CONV: start -----

[62 / 62] ***** CONV: load

[64 / 2] ***** CONV: render

negative pixel value: -24

negative pixel value: -24

----- ***** CONV: start -----