Sent, Sent Items, Sent Messages

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
14240scottp

Post by 14240scottp »

One of the great things about IMAP is the ability to use more than one client.
I am using, Zimbra Webmail, Mac OS X Mail.app and Windows Pocket PC Messenger.
They all work almost perfectly, very nice. Mail.app even supports the same Junk folder, so when I click Junk in Mail.app it goes to the same place as the automatic junk moves.
Draft also seems to be the same.
The problem is Sent.
Mail boxes used:

Zimbra - Sent

Mail.app - Sent Messages

Pocket PC - Sent Items

I notice there is no way in any of the above to choose the name of the Sent folder.
As an aside, I also have a Squirrelmail setup, for those who need a lighter weight interface (eg: via an old browser, or a pocket pc browser) - it allows you to choose the name of the sent folder, so it works fine.
So my question is, is there a way in the IMAP server to remap a request to one folder name to another? If not, then I guess this would be a feature request.
Scott
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Yes it'd be a feature request. I've seen this as well but there is no easy way to tell other than client config if the various sent folders are user created or mail client created. I use Thunderbird which allows me to pick the folder so no harm there. My Pocket PC however doesn't let me pick so I end up with a separate folder.
Summit

Post by Summit »

In Mail.app click on the "Sent" folder and then go to

Mailbox->Use This Mailbox For->Sent
14240scottp

Post by 14240scottp »

[quote user="Summit"]In Mail.app click on the "Sent" folder and then go to

Mailbox->Use This Mailbox For->Sent[/QUOTE]
Excellent, that worked for my Mail.app perfectly. I have configured now Zimbra (well, used default), Squirrel and Mail.app to use the correct Sent folder, which just leave Outlook on my Pocket PC.
Scott
dhallweb

Post by dhallweb »

[quote user="14240scottp"]Excellent, that worked for my Mail.app perfectly. I have configured now Zimbra (well, used default), Squirrel and Mail.app to use the correct Sent folder, which just leave Outlook on my Pocket PC.[/QUOTE]

For Oulook

Per the Microsoft website:

Outlook will save sent messages in your local Personal Folder (PST) Sent Items folder. You can use the Rules Wizard to save sent messages in a folder on the IMAP server. You may want to disable the options to save sent messages in your Sent Items folder. If you do this, you will keep sent messages from being saved on the local PST folder.
Back to the top Back to the top

Create a Rule with the Rules Wizard

1. On the Tools menu, click Rules Wizard, and then click New.

2. Click to select Check Messages After Sending, and then click Next.

3. Click to check the Uses The "Form Name" Form check box.

4. Click on the underlined "form name" in the Rule Description box.

5. Click to select Application Forms, and then click to select Message. Click Add, click Close, and then click Next.

6. Click the "Move a copy to the specified folder" check box.

7. Click to select the "specified" folder in the Rule Description box

8. Click to select or create a folder on your IMAP server. Click OK, and then click Next.

9. Click Next again, and then specify a rule name. Click Finish, and then click OK.

Back to the top Back to the top

Disable Save Sent Items in the Sent Items Folder

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.

2. On the Preferences Tab, click E-mail Options.

3. Click to clear the "Save copies of messages in Sent Items Folder" check box

4. To close the dialog boxes, click OK twice.
repvik

Post by repvik »

[quote user="dhallweb"]For Oulook

Per the Microsoft website:

Outlook will save sent messages in your local Personal Folder (PST) Sent Items folder. You can use the Rules Wizard to save sent messages in a folder on the IMAP server. You may want to disable the options to save sent messages in your Sent Items folder. If you do this, you will keep sent messages from being saved on the local PST folder.

[/QUOTE]

Pocket Outlook is a completely different thing from the desktop version.

I'm running into the same problem my self, getting three different versions of deleted and sent items. (Using a Windows Mobile device, Zimbra webif and a Sony Ericsson phone)
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="repvik"]Pocket Outlook is a completely different thing from the desktop version.

I'm running into the same problem my self, getting three different versions of deleted and sent items. (Using a Windows Mobile device, Zimbra webif and a Sony Ericsson phone)[/QUOTE]You do realise that you're replying to a thread that's two years and nine months old, don't you? If you have a problem then start a new thread and describe your problem in detail including Zimbra version and release, operating system and which component of Zimbra is having the problem.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
repvik

Post by repvik »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]You do realise that you're replying to a thread that's two years and nine months old, don't you? If you have a problem then start a new thread and describe your problem in detail including Zimbra version and release, operating system and which component of Zimbra is having the problem.[/QUOTE]
I did, after I posted the message. Why exactly should I start yet another thread on the same problem? This problem hasn't been "solved".
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="repvik"]I did, after I posted the message. Why exactly should I start yet another thread on the same problem? This problem hasn't been "solved".[/QUOTE]For the very simple reason that Zimbra (and all the operating systems and product features) has changed completely since the original post was made. The other reason is that this thread was about the MAC mail.app.
If you'd also look at post #4 & #5 in this thread you'll see that the original posters problem was actually resolved.
Apart from a product name, you've given absolutely no information about what versions of any of the products you're using - that doesn't help in trying to fix your problem. So, to restate, don't post to a thread that's almost three years old and start a new thread with a description of your problem including the details I asked for earlier.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
repvik

Post by repvik »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]For the very simple reason that Zimbra (and all the operating systems and product features) has changed completely since the original post was made. The other reason is that this thread was about the MAC mail.app.
If you'd also look at post #4 & #5 in this thread you'll see that the original posters problem was actually resolved.
Apart from a product name, you've given absolutely no information about what versions of any of the products you're using - that doesn't help in trying to fix your problem. So, to restate, don't post to a thread that's almost three years old and start a new thread with a description of your problem including the details I asked for earlier.[/QUOTE]

You seem reasonably braindead, tbh.

The problem wasn't just with the MAC mail.app, but also pocket outlook.

#5 is completely unrelated to the problem (as I already stated in my first post), and #4 only solves part of it (and not the part that I enquired about).

I was considering purchasing zimbra for resale, but I can see that the employees don't even bother to try to make the company look good outwards.
Thank you for your non-help and arrogance.