Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
adobrin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by adobrin »

stop cross posting.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="adobrin"]stop cross posting.[/QUOTE]

It's gone. :)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
computerfixitguy

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by computerfixitguy »

I have too a big machine and TOP shows that java is the #1 time sucker. It will hang at 84%. Why would it do this.
I am using a 2.2 G Dual Operton, a raid 01 setup with 1.5 GB ram and just 1 user. More ram has not made any difference since. The only thing is its crisp on a reboot for a few minutes then starts slowing down. I was going to try someones idea of adding a key to ZmMsg.properties, but I cannot find it anywhere.
So why would Java be the #1 bad guy?
Derek
adobrin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by adobrin »

in this world of good and evil.. who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of processes?
bburtin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by bburtin »

[quote user="adobrin"]in this world of good and evil.. who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of processes?[/QUOTE]
Ha ha. That made my day. :) If the logs don't clue you into what is going on, you actually can know what lurks in the heart of a java process by doing a kill -3 on it. This will cause the JVM to dump the stacks of all threads to stdout. In the case of Tomcat, the thread dump will be written to one of the files in /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs.
digiquix

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by digiquix »

Hello,
The web UI is really really super super slow. There is only a total of 1 user using it (but I have 84 accounts imported to the box). The web interface is so slow that it is at the point that it isn't really acceptable as a system for real use. Does anyone know why?
Server load is:
18:19:41 up 1 day, 54 min, 3 users, load average: 0.12, 0.10, 0.09
Would any of these things affect it?
DNS timeouts? MX lookup timeouts?

The server isn't the problem.
Server Specs:
dual proc Xeon 2.4 Ghz

3GB Memory

RAID 10 (4 x 250 SATA)
The server definitely isn't the issue. A login takes about 20-30 seconds. Bringing up a calendar takes about 5 seconds the initial click. Is there something that can be done? Any suggestions?
computerfixitguy

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by computerfixitguy »

I have the same problem in my world. Similar server setup too. However my laptop is nice and crisp in the Web UI. I have countless PC's that are just dreadful. There was a post about it being a Java error but I cannot figure out how to turn on the Java debug console to see if thats the reason.
All I can say is TOP reports Java as the #1 CPU sucker when I am on a "slow" machine.
Derek
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by Klug »

What about the issue being the client PC and not the server ?
Have a look at this thread :
Zimbra">http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4639
Zimbra is not working well with "old" PC, due to the complexity of web pages.

A "lighter" webUI is under developement.
czaveri
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by czaveri »

My dad has the same issue. He uses Firefox on a P3 450 MHz with 512 MB RAM as a client machine.
But for me it is quite fast. I mean not lightning fast, but definitely not slow.
I use a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop with Pentium M processor and 768 MB RAM.
bjared
Advanced member
Advanced member

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by bjared »

I did a test this weekend, because we have some dialup users (and a T1 user) who claims that zimbra is slow.
There are about 10 other T1 users who don't seem to think it's slow...but I digress.
I ran ethereal and clocked the number of bytes being transfered between me and our zimbra server (up and down) in Network Edition, 4.0.3 through our apache SSL proxy:
791 kilobytes to simply get the login screen.

1035 kilobytes additional to get to my inbox after logging in.
If you're on 56k dialup, it'll take over 30 seconds to login. A T1 has a theoretical time of 9 seconds. (I don't think 9 seconds is a big deal, personally.)
Now that I'm at the office, I'll run another test (We're also behind a T1) to our server at the central data center. We don't use the SSL proxy from within the network. (Note, this is total data up/down between client and server):
742 kilobytes to login screen.

946 kilobytes to inbox.
We're thinking of implimenting a transparent proxy on all the sites' firewalls to help aleviate some of the visible speeds. (Proxying port 80 shouldn't cause any problems, right?)
Anyway, I hope those numbers help some people in debugging their "slowness" issues.
--Brian