Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
BarrySDCA

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by BarrySDCA »

I keep getting messages like these from the users:
what I did notice was that Zimbra is slow..I go in and it says the server is slow..cancel request..

that's a little frustrating..I tried working off of Zimbra to test it today and I had to exit because the screen fades and it goes into zone out mode..&*(_&^##@#$@#$@

What's up?? Is Zimbra really this slow or is something not right?
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by jholder »

There shouldn't be any thing the zimbra app itself that would cause delays.

Zimbra is designed to spit out errors if something is wrong with the server.
So, given that, why don't we try a couple things.
Do a bandwidth test at CNet to see what it's download rate is.
Are the users in the intranet when getting the slow errors, or outside the network?
Is there any indication in the /var/log/zimbra.log?
Go onto the zimrba machine and log into e-mail and see if you get a slow connecting error.

ALSO, there is a known bug with firefox. . Does this happen in IE as well?
demanl
Advanced member
Advanced member

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by demanl »

[quote user="BarrySDCA"]I keep getting messages like these from the users:
what I did notice was that Zimbra is slow..I go in and it says the server is slow..cancel request..

that's a little frustrating..I tried working off of Zimbra to test it today and I had to exit because the screen fades and it goes into zone out mode..&*(_&^##@#$@#$@

What's up?? Is Zimbra really this slow or is something not right?[/QUOTE]

What are the specs of your server...???
OS....???

Hardware....????

Processor....????

Memory.....???

Hard-disk Size and Type...???

What else is running on this machine..????
Shekill

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by Shekill »

:cool:
hımmmsss!!!
yetdog

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by yetdog »

It sounds like you have some typical lusers there...those two "error messages" are from nothing that would be related to zimbra, or a web browser even. Screen fades out? What is that? Tell them to get a new PC!!
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by 14319KevinH »

Zimbra does popup a 'Waiting for Server' dialog if a response takes too long (I think the default is around 30sec). This for the most part happens when the server is under spec'd or lots of importing is going on.
Publish your server specs and some info on how many users etc. This will help decide if it's a sizing issue.
brwatters
Advanced member
Advanced member

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by brwatters »

Kevin,

We get the same issue here .. 50 users ..

Dual P4 3.0G

2G Ram

100 Gig SCSI 10,000 RPM RAID5

Server load is rarely over .3 .. i.e. its not a server load issue nor a spec. issue
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by 14319KevinH »

Are all 50 user's on the web client? Which browsers? Any POP, IMAP, or Outlook users?
What actions specfically are slow? Reading mail? View calendar? New events? Sending mail? Something else?
brwatters
Advanced member
Advanced member

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by brwatters »

Kevin,

IMAP users would be approx. 10 out of the 50 .. Seems like two areas are very slow .. sending email and moving from one directory to another ..

Load times of the Web GUI are very slow as well .. Keep in mind bandwidth is not an issue... we sit behind 155 meg pipe out to the internet and all LAN connections are 100 megs min back to the servers ..

BRW
bburtin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Why is Zimbra SLOW?

Post by bburtin »

/opt/zimbra/log/zimbrastats.csv has server-side timing data for various operations such as SOAP/IMAP/POP requests, message add, database connections, LDAP connections, etc. Open that file in Excel or another CSV reader to see if it helps you narrow down which operations are the slow ones.