Zimbra not starting

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
adobrin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra not starting

Post by adobrin »

[quote user="adobrin"]my opinion is you need to go back to your non-working backup. its not fun to recover once you've had a failed installation.
hit the backup, fix the ldap authentication, and then upgrade again.[/QUOTE]
sorry if that wasn't clear.
1) you need to restore your non-working backup (prior to the failed upgrade)- what you currently have is more than likely toasted.
2) you need to find out why your initial upgrade failed. my guess is LDAP credentials. try authenticating manually with the zimbra_ldap_password and the ldap_root_password in /opt/zimbra/conf/localconfig.xml
3) once you have fixed your broken LDAP, upgrade to 4.0 GA again.
FunkyPenguin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra not starting

Post by FunkyPenguin »

adobrin,
I did think of doing that myself, but the last time I checked the queue before my AdminUI got frazzled it was sitting at the 300 mark. Now if I do whack the installation, and then upgrade am I going to loose all the mail in there? If I will loose it all, I'd like to make sure that I've tried all other avenues first.
adobrin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra not starting

Post by adobrin »

The second time you installed, when it gave you no errors, Zimbra didn't do an upgrade, it just flushed the system. There is no way to recover afaik.
You may be able to restore your current postfix state on top of the old zimbra install. I'm not sure on this, but I think the postfix queue is all under /opt/zimbra/postfix/spool -- so dumping /opt/zimbra/postfix back on top of your old zimbra dir *might* get it to deliver those once lmtp/tomcat is running again.
You might also be able to get postfix to deliver to an alternate imap server, and then imapsync that mail over afterwords.
better to lose the day's queue than all the old mail though, no?
FunkyPenguin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra not starting

Post by FunkyPenguin »

Thanks for the idea with postfix - can't hurt to try.
I agree that loosing a couple of day's mail in comparison to everything is the better option - pain in the arse but not much choice by the looks of things.
FunkyPenguin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra not starting

Post by FunkyPenguin »

Looks like I'm back to having a semi working Zimbra - re-installed and restored from my broken ldap backup. The question is, how do I fix the "missing blog" issue? This affects ALL users, not just one account.
Is it a matter of deleteing the mailbox and re-indexing or is it something else?
just to re-itterate the error I'm getting:

msg - system failure: missing blob for id: 6962, change: 9459

com.zimbra.cs.service.ServiceException: system failure: missing blob for id: 6962, change: 9459

at com.zimbra.cs.service.ServiceException.FAILURE(ServiceException.java:174)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailItem.getBlob(MailItem.java:633)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MessageCache.fetchFromStore(MessageCache.java:213)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MessageCache.getMimeMessage(MessageCache.java:179)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Message.getMimeMessage(Message.java:270)

at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.ToXML.encodeMessageAsMP(ToXML.java:537)

at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.GetMsg.handle(GetMsg.java:74)

at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEngine.java:261)

at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:162)

at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:84)

at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.java:223)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)

at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(ZimbraServlet.java:173)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:541)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:667)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
code - service.FAILURE

method - ZmCsfeCommand.prototype.invoke

detail - soap:Receiver

jhahm
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra not starting

Post by jhahm »

Hi, the missing blob error indicates something went wrong during restore. You can repeat the restore with log level rasied, by putting the next line in /opt/zimbra/conf/log4j.properties and restarting tomcat before restore:
log4j.logger.zimbra.backup=DEBUG
The overall problem you're having is pretty complex, and I suggest you work with Zimbra Support. We can then come back and update this thread with the resolution.
FunkyPenguin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra not starting

Post by FunkyPenguin »

I would like to thanks phoenix and especially wannabetnor for their astounding help in resolving my issues.
In a nutshell my problkems were two fold:

1 - I had permission issues

2 - Amavisd would not start
Permission issues were resolved quite simply by running zmfixperms, and then chown zimbra:zimbra /opt/zimbra/postfix/st* As far as the Amavisd issues are concerned, I'm not sure exactly how that got fixed! Hopefully wanabetnor can enlighten us :)
Once again Kudos goes to phoenix and wanabetnor!
AnilKumarYalla

Zimbra not starting

Post by AnilKumarYalla »

Hello I got installable file from my zimbra build.After installation completes,i checked weather services are running r not using zmcontrol command.But no services are running.How to run the services/While tring with zmcontrol start command also it wont working.Help me in this issue.