SSL and Non-SSL

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
rvissers

SSL and Non-SSL

Post by rvissers »

I guess I am a little confused from reading the documentation. Can I simultaniously have POP & IMAP users and access the server using SSL and not using SSL? It appears from the options it is either one or the other, not both.
andreychek
Advanced member
Advanced member

SSL and Non-SSL

Post by andreychek »

[quote user="rvissers"]I guess I am a little confused from reading the documentation. Can I simultaniously have POP & IMAP users and access the server using SSL and not using SSL? It appears from the options it is either one or the other, not both.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... I'm not sure that I've actually tried this, I've been trying to make sure everyone accesses via SSL for security's sake... but so far as I can tell, being able to do both should not be a problem.
Basically, IMAP/POP come configured by default to only do SSL.
But, in Global Settings, you can check "Enable clear text login" for both IMAP and POP, which should allow both SSL and plain text.
Have a good one,

-Eric
dkarp
Elite member
Elite member

SSL and Non-SSL

Post by dkarp »

The server will support both IMAP and IMAPs (and POP and POPs) at the same time. These run on different ports (defaults are: IMAP - 143, IMAPs - 993) and do not interfere with each other.
For standard IMAP and POP, you can also configure it so that IMAP/POP clients must explicitly issue a command to begin a TLS session before they're allowed to log in. That's what "Enable clear text logins" set to false does.
rvissers

SSL and Non-SSL

Post by rvissers »

Looks like that did it. Thanks for the info.