Open Source vs Appliance

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
Tripple
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Open Source vs Appliance

Post by Tripple »

Why is there a free 10-user appliance, but not a free 10-user open source edition?
Since I'm running the open source edition on a VMWare server, maybe I should go to the appliance.
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Open Source vs Appliance

Post by chauvetp »

Maybe I'm not clear on whatn you're asking but isn't the open source edition free for as many users as you want to use?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Open Source vs Appliance

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="chauvetp"]Maybe I'm not clear on whatn you're asking but isn't the open source edition free for as many users as you want to use?[/QUOTE]I think he's talking about the additional NE features in the Appliance.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
fcash
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Open Source vs Appliance

Post by fcash »

[quote user="Tripple"]Why is there a free 10-user appliance, but not a free 10-user open source edition?
Since I'm running the open source edition on a VMWare server, maybe I should go to the appliance.[/QUOTE]
The Zimbra Appliance uses Zimbra Network Edition, which requires licensing. This includes all the Zimbra Mobile features, MS Outlook Connector, Blackberry Connector, backups support, etc.
The Zimbra Open-Source Edition does not require licensing, it's free to use with as many users as you can stuff into the system. This does not include any of the NE features (backups, mobile, etc).
Thus, there's no difference between a 10-user Zimbre OSE install vs a 10,000-user Zimbra OSE install.
Tripple
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Open Source vs Appliance

Post by Tripple »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]I think he's talking about the additional NE features in the Appliance.[/QUOTE]
Indeed.
@fcash

With the free 10-user version you can backup the same way the NE version does.
I'm running a few Zimbra servers with less then 10 users. A nice backup solution would be great. If things explode, I wouldn't mind paying for a license.
fcash
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Open Source vs Appliance

Post by fcash »

[quote user="Tripple"]@fcash

With the free 10-user version you can backup the same way the NE version does.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's what I wrote. :)
The "Free 10-user appliance" *IS* Zimbra Network Edition.
Tripple
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Open Source vs Appliance

Post by Tripple »

[quote user="fcash"]

Thus, there's no difference between a 10-user Zimbre OSE install vs a 10,000-user Zimbra OSE install.[/QUOTE]
Sorry. Maybe I misunderstood your last sentence.
[EDIT]

I did misunderstood, or just didn't read properly. :-) Of course there's no difference between 10 user or 10,000 users.

But there's a difference when you have only 10 users between the appliance and the open source edition.
hescominsoon
Advanced member
Advanced member

Open Source vs Appliance

Post by hescominsoon »

so the 10 user appliance is basically Network edition free for 10 users? Am i seeing this correctly?