Increase Zimbra VM disk capacity

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
Labsy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Labsy »

Hi,
I have one Zimbra ZCS installed on ESX server. I'd like to increase disk space commited to it, but since it is in production, I would not like to break anything in the process.
So, how do I do it?
Should I simply shut down Zimbra VM, increase disk size in ESX from 400 GB to 600 GB and start up Zimbra? Will it handle new size?
Krishopper
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Krishopper »

I typically advise against changing the size of a current disk.
If you have the hot-add feature licensed in VMware, you can just add the disk, re-scan the SCSI bus within the VM, and then format the disk.
Are you using LVM for your Zimbra volumes? If so, you will be able to add the new disk to that and just grow the volume and carry on your way.
If not, you will need to mount the new disk in /opt/zimbra/store2 for example, and set up a new volume within Zimbra to store mail on the new store.
Labsy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Labsy »

Hi Krishopper,

thanx for explanation.
I have default Zimbra install on default OS requisites, so there is no LVM. Option 2 will be right for me.
So if I think in advance, after mounting new disk and changing server settings, I would need to take care of the folowing:

1.) I assume that if I change default store for messages, existing members WON'T be meigrated to new store. New settings will apply only to new mail accounts.

2.) If above is true, then I need to make sure there is enough space left on OLD store for all existing users and their messages in the future. (...of course, if I don't want to manually migrate)

3.) OR is there another logic, for example, after I setup new store, all messages for all users from that moment forward will go to new store, while old messages will stay on old store?
Krishopper
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Krishopper »

Option #3 is the correct one.
New messages going forward will go to the new store (as long as you set it as the "current message volume" in the admin console.)
You can change the current message volume at any time, if you want to start filling up a different volume.
Labsy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Labsy »

Thanx Krishopper for reading manuals for me :)
BTW...did you upgrade your production server from Ubuntu 8 to 10 and if yes, any benefits performance wide?