Moving Zimbra to VMware

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
Mansur

Moving Zimbra to VMware

Post by Mansur »

Hi gents,

I have a Zimbra server running via XenServer as virtual server, and i want to move this server via the software VMware vCenter Converter standalone to VMware as a copy. But I noticed that an IP address assigned to zimbra is not our internal like 192.168..... but external IP address, thatswhy not possible to migrate/move it to vmware. Do you know another way? If there possible to assigne internal any IP address on zimbra, as far as I know if I cahnge ip externla to internal I have to change mx rec as well anyway... Could you please advise if you have any ideas or experience ?

Thank you,
M
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Re: Moving Zimbra to VMware

Post by L. Mark Stone »

IMHO the easiest way to do this is to perform a side-by-side migration using the NG Backup (Zextras) engine.

The process is documented here: https://zimbra.github.io/zimbra-9/admin ... ith-backup and also on the Zextras documentation web site.

The benefits of this process are:

1. Any cruft in your existing server gets left behind; you start off with a clean, current Zimbra system.
2. The backups are Zimbra- and operating system-version independent, so you can take a backup from a CentOS6 system running Zimbra 8.0.9 and restore it to an Ubuntu 18 system running Zimbra 8.8.15 or Zimbra 9.0.0.
3. You can do a test restore to see if there is any latent corruption in your existing server.
4. Downtime to perform the cutover is about 10 minutes.
5. You have a fallback because you are not risking your existing production system at all.

Hope that helps,
Mark