Encryption Services for Zimbra

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
underdog

Post by underdog »

Hi Guys,

This should really be a built in feature of zimbra surely. I honestly think that zimbra is set to be one of the most powerful mailsystems around but this is a huge hole in the matrix. Can someone confirm if this is something the Zimbra staff are looking to include in the near future. I don't want to play around with admin extensions if this is on it's way.
dnsnetworks

Post by dnsnetworks »

This should be released asap. The demand is there and i am surprised this hasnt been done yet. Dont see the feature yet in 6.0.3, and i see requests for this going back to 2007...
Guys what is happening. Zimbra is getting to be best out there....This will make it become even better.
Any news guys?
KiegKhan

Post by KiegKhan »

I work in the Health Care industry, and while I really like Zimbra, the lack of secure email means we could never use this system in production. As per other comments, this is a seriously lacking feature in an otherwise brilliant bit of software that needs to be addressed. From an email perspective it is the single highest priority for me, everything else is nice but so what, this is critical functionality.
grosenberg

Post by grosenberg »

I have many clients using Zimbra that would be certainly interested in being able to send secure email. I would be happy to assist with product testing.
kbigger

Post by kbigger »

Penango (Penango) makes a FF and IE browser plugin that will do PKI signing and encrypting. It lacks CRL and OCSP lookup but is in their roadmap. Or you could use the ZCO and Outlook alternatively.
Actually, contact info at Penango, Inc - Sacramento, California (CA) | Company Profile. Penango's website sucks.
mk637

Post by mk637 »

[quote user="KiegKhan"]...this is a seriously lacking feature in an otherwise brilliant bit of software that needs to be addressed. From an email perspective it is the single highest priority for me, everything else is nice but so what, this is critical functionality.[/QUOTE]

Yup, you are right, and this is also my opinion. Bring this in as a V6 patch, don't wait for 7!
PatrickDickey

Post by PatrickDickey »

[quote user="mk637"]Yup, you are right, and this is also my opinion. Bring this in as a V6 patch, don't wait for 7![/QUOTE]
It also needs to be implemented inside of Zimbra Desktop, in such a way that people who aren't using the ZCS can still take advantage of it.
Have a great day:)

Patrick.
gmeazell

Post by gmeazell »

We just discovered that to get PGP for Outlook 2010, we will have to pay over $100 per seat.
If you had PGP in Zimbra desktop, we would be converting users to it. As it stands, we are using Thunderbird for those users.
JoshuaPrismon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by JoshuaPrismon »

[quote]any further development on this?
would there be any interest if there were a bounty? if so how much needs to be put out there to get some dev going on this?[/QUOTE]
There was recently a port of some of the critical pieces to Javascript, which makes this much more interesting and feasible. (The Java API's are there, but not heavily used, and problematic). I'm really short of time here, but I'll take a look at it again.
Hivos
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Hivos »

Hello Zimbra colleagues,
The fact that there is no full OpenPGP support in Zimbra has been discussed before on this forum.
I would like to bring to your attention that there is now a crowd funding effort to finally achieve a good quality gpg zimlet for zimbra.

Please visit : Zimbra OpenPGP Zimlet | Indiegogo
For details.

Thanks
Barry