Zimbra Tray notification application

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
Andrew Orlov

Post by Andrew Orlov »

Hello, colleagues!
I'd like to announce yet another simple application which can make our Zimbra life easier.
Zimbra Tray | Get Zimbra Tray at SourceForge.net
It is simple notification application and it

- is multiplatform (Windows, Linux, etc.), it is written in Java (J2SE6)

- runs in tray

- checks for new emails and appointments and informs user about them

- can dismiss appointments without opening web client

- starts the default system web-browser with Zimbra using preauth service

- is free...
I started to write it when I realized that neither Zimbra Toaster nor any other app could do some simple things together (like check for appointments and being free).
I'll be glad if some of you finds it useful. Anyway, your notes, bug reports, feature requests will be greatly appreciated.
Yours, Andrew Orlov
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by soxfan »

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for releasing this to the public. I've been looking for a free alternative to the Toaster that includes appointments for quite some time. I'm giving your application a try now.
Have you given any thought to having configurable options for pop-up and/or sound notifications? To me the tray notifications are OK, but can be missed. Something that catches the user's attention a little more would be preferred.
Also, some type of mouse-over showing message subjects and/or appointment titles would be nice.
Thanks again,

John
Andrew Orlov

Post by Andrew Orlov »

Yes, popups and some other ways to inform user about incoming events will be the next step after correct accepting of untrusted (self-signed) certificates.
Thanks for your answer!
zx9_r

Post by zx9_r »

I donwloaded the ZimbraTray.jar 0.8 version. On RHEL 4 hosts the notification icon always shows that there are new messages. It never clears and when you hover the mouse above it it displays there are new messages even when there are not. On a couple of RHEL 5 clients it works properly. How do I get the ZimbraTray.jar to work properly on RHEL 4.
Thanks
Andrew Orlov

Post by Andrew Orlov »

[quote user="zx9_r"]I donwloaded the ZimbraTray.jar 0.8 version. On RHEL 4 hosts the notification icon always shows that there are new messages. It never clears and when you hover the mouse above it it displays there are new messages even when there are not. On a couple of RHEL 5 clients it works properly. How do I get the ZimbraTray.jar to work properly on RHEL 4.
Thanks[/QUOTE]
Hello!
Can you start it from the command line and send me output? I nave no RHEL4 around me and can't check it myself.
What desktop environment and what version of Java (vendor, build number) do you use under RHEL4?
Andrew
zx9_r

Post by zx9_r »

There is no output when run from the command line. I downloaded the latest JRE from sun jre1.6.0_18 and run it by specifying the java binary

jre1.8.0_18/bin/java -jar ZimbraTray.jar

I've tried several RHEL 4 systems mostly RHEL 4 update 7 and update 8 using gnome. I just tried KDE and it does the same thing. The icon indicates new mail and when you mouse over it tells you there are new messages.

I tried the 0.7 version and it did the same thing.

I have also tried the jdk1.6.0_13 and jdk1.6.0_16 versions from sun.

The workstations are 64bit RHEL with 64bit java.
Thanks
Andrew Orlov

Post by Andrew Orlov »

OK, I'll try to install CentOS 4.8 (AFAIK it is considered as binary compatible with RHEL) and check. It'll take some time, please, be a patient :)
Andrew Orlov

Post by Andrew Orlov »

zx9_r, I checked CentOS 4.8 x32 with Sun JRE 1.6.0_18 and GNOME - everything works properly...
I can assume that something wrong with x64 RHEL4 environment, but I can't check it right now - I have no 64-bit computer around. I'll try it next week at work.
HidX
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by HidX »

Andrew Orlov

Will the new version?

What are the plans for the future of ZimbraTray?
zx9_r

Post by zx9_r »

Thanks for trying. I'll wait till you get a chance to check the 64bit.