Collaboration Suite Software?

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
Janseniar

Collaboration Suite Software?

Postby Janseniar » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi-

I'm sort of new to the whole server thing, having started a new job. They have asked me to create a web interface for the server that they could pull files off of it and arrange a calendar and such in a pretty GUI. I was researching Zimbra, which has an opensource version. The problem is that most of these collaboration suites focus on e-mail. We already have adequate e-mail usage, and I'm looking for something to simply provide users with news, calendars that everyone can schedule things in to, as well as a place to put documents and such that people could pull them off and download them if they wanted. Is there software like this or should I use something like Zimbra without using the mail functionality?

Furthermore, has anyone used Zimbra? I'm wondering if this will be a good choice for the workplace. Thanks.
Last edited by Janseniar on Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

axslingr
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15_GA_3829.RHEL7_64_20190718141

Re: Collaboration Suite Software?

Postby axslingr » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:44 am

zimico
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P3

Postby zimico » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:09 am

Hi there,
With Zimbra OSS (free version) you will have email, calendar, task, briefcase, all in one place/server. You can have a look at Zimbra zimlet (www.zimbra.org/extend/) for useful additional features. In case you want file editing or chatting, video conferencing,... you can have a look at Zimbra NE (paid version).

Best regards,
Minh.
jasggomes
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.7.11.GA.1854.UBUNTU14.64

Postby jasggomes » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:27 pm

Janseniar wrote:Hi-

I'm sort of new to the whole server thing, having started a new job. They have asked me to create a web interface for the server that they could pull files off of it and arrange a calendar and such in a pretty GUI. I was researching Zimbra, which has an opensource version. The problem is that most of these collaboration suites focus on e-mail. We already have adequate e-mail usage, and I'm looking for something to simply provide users with news, calendars that everyone can schedule things in to, as well as a place to put documents and such that people could pull them off and download them if they wanted. Is there software like this or should I use something like Zimbra without using the mail functionality?

Furthermore, has anyone used Zimbra? I'm wondering if this will be a good choice for the workplace.

What you want is NextCloud or similar.
You have email already in place, so, all the other things you referred are on NextCloud.

Regards.
JG

Return to “Developers”