Moving Notebooks and Documents

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
tkramis

Post by tkramis »

Hi
I'm trying to move my notebooks and documents from one notebook to another. If I drag them it appears that this should be possible (cursor resembles green and red areas where I can drop it) but if I drop it nothing happens.
Any ideas?
KiegKhan

Post by KiegKhan »

Hello,

This is a real problem with Zimbra. The only way I have found to move documents:

1) create a new document in the notebook where you want it

2) copy the HTML code from the existing document

3) paste it into the new document

4) delete the old document

5) rename the new document as you cannot have two documents with the same name.

Any links to the old document will also need to be fixed as they will be pointing to the old document location.

I am using the latest FOSS 6.0.6_GA_2332 as at 6 May 2010, and this functionality still does not work correctly. If you use the browse button to view the folder and drag and drop, then it appears that the notebook should move, but the move never completes.

NOtebooks are one part of Zimbra system that do not appear to be getting any further development, even though it appears to be a very good system that has many benefits.
i2ambler
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by i2ambler »

Bummer.. I just noticed this issue as well.. I would like to move some notebooks around.
KiegKhan

Post by KiegKhan »

Hello i2ambler, as you use the notebook feature more you will find it is pretty basic. Even as a WIKI type system it is pretty poor. When compared to Google Documents or ZoHo it does not even compare.

Unfortunately, everything I have seen indicates this functionality is not actively being maintained, at least I never have gotten any positive responses to any of my questions or problems. Of course I am using FOSS, so maybe they have a better response to the Network version, but other Open Source products I have used have had great responses.

I like the Zimbra product and will continue to use it, my only hope is that they work on the documents system and make it function more like Google Documents or ZoHo, then it will be a collaboration suite without peer as it will be the only one I have found that allows you to load it in-house and not have to use it as SAAS.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="KiegKhan"]Unfortunately, everything I have seen indicates this functionality is not actively being maintained, at least I never have gotten any positive responses to any of my questions or problems.[/QUOTE]Of course the feature is 'being maintained', have you filed bug reports for any problems you've encountered? If you haven't then Bugzilla Main Page - Zimbra is the place for that, the forums are for asking questions and discussing problem you encounter not for bug reports, you could also search the forums to confirm if it's a problem already encountered and see if there's any solution available.
[quote user="KiegKhan"]Of course I am using FOSS, so maybe they have a better response to the Network version, but other Open Source products I have used have had great responses.[/QUOTE]The response to bug reports is the same whether it's the Open Source or Network Edition, each report is treated on it's merits and impact on the product.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
fcash
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fcash »

[quote user="KiegKhan"]Unfortunately, everything I have seen indicates this functionality is not actively being maintained, at least I never have gotten any positive responses to any of my questions or problems. Of course I am using FOSS, so maybe they have a better response to the Network version, but other Open Source products I have used have had great responses.
I like the Zimbra product and will continue to use it, my only hope is that they work on the documents system and make it function more like Google Documents or ZoHo, then it will be a collaboration suite without peer as it will be the only one I have found that allows you to load it in-house and not have to use it as SAAS.[/QUOTE]
According to the webinars I've participated in this year, the Documents tab is being deprecated in 6.x/7.x and will be removed completely in 8.x.
However, all the functionality of the Documents tab is being added to the Briefcase. The beginnings of this integration can be seen in 6.x where you can create documents via either the Documents or Briefcase tab.
From the sounds of things, the long-term goal of the Briefcase is to make it an online office suite for most general uses (as well as a document storage system).
You wouldn't use it to run your accounting department, but it should be usable for most things people use Google Docs for.
KiegKhan

Post by KiegKhan »

Thanks Bill,

I have reported bugs in Bugzilla. The last one related the fact when you view a notebook document it formats and
correctly, but when you edit the document these two tags display the sameway, which is wrong as and leads the document creator to add extra tags incorrectly, that then display incorrectly when the document is viewed. I got a response that these tags were working correctly in Network Edition version greater than the FOSS version I have access to, and no indication as to whether FOSS has this fixed or not. Very uninformative.

I have also suggested that the Notebook requires the functionality to move documents and to be able to create template documents that new documents can be based on. I have never heard anything about whether these ideas are interesting, going to be implemented or otherwise.

I have also asked about specific information for the Zimlet programming so that I can try to create these notebook features myself. In the Zimlet information it shows how to integrate with mail, but there is no reference to how to do this same thing in Notebook. Specifically, I was asking what additional parameters are available to the viewId == ZmId.VIEW_?? so that I could hook into the Notebook part of the application.

I realise there is a lot of posts happening all the time, and I understand you do not have the ability to incorporate everyone's ideas, but in honesty there are a LOT of posts about the same thing that do not seem to get any further for months. Things like PKI Certificate handling have been discussed for at least three years in the forum and Bugzilla. Zimlet documentation, that would assist people like myself add functionality, is scarce and incomplete.

I am not a programmer by trade, but I have tried to follow the method to download the source code so I could see if I could find answers to these issues myself, but it is not as easy as I would have liked, ie: there is no source code files that can just be read through to see how the system ties together and works, it all has to be managed through a system I do not currently have or understand.

I love Zimbra and think it has huge potential. It is one of the best I have seen that lets me run it from my own hardware, but it is hard not to compare it to Google Documents and ZoHo which present the same sort of functionality and idea of collaboration but do it in such a fully feature rich method. Unfortunately, their SAAS model does not suit my situation.

Hope I have not bored you too much with the details.
KiegKhan

Post by KiegKhan »

Hello Freddie,

I must admit I have not looked at Breifcase recently so I will take another look and see if it looks like it can do what I am after.

I still think Google Documents is the benchmark for document and spreadsheet functionality. They have come a long way with decent page layout features and the ability to link different spreadsheets together.
KiegKhan

Post by KiegKhan »

I have now taken a look at the Breifcase in 6.0.6 2332 and while it appears to be a bit better than it was previously, the Notebook feature still does what it does better than the breifcase. Creating a link between one document and another in Notebook is very simple for the end user, where-as creating a link from one document to another in Breifcase requires the user to know the URL of the linked document, hardly very user friendly.

The Spreadsheet works better in the Breifcase, but that code should be the same in the notebook, so I do not know why it does not or can not work the same in the Notebook.

Istill like the wayNotebook is more like a WIKI system and breifcase is more like a file repository, it would be better if this functionality was kept separate or Breifcase needs a lot moer work if it is going to replace Notebook.