Filter from person

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
fantastic_max

Filter from person

Post by fantastic_max »

Hi,

This should be simple but I cannot find out how to filter a message that comes from a particular person say John Smith, who uses multiple email addresses. I can filter messages from John or from Smith but not from both. This should be simple but I just cannot work out how to do it or find anything online to help me with this.

Thanks!
13537storm
Advanced member
Advanced member

Filter from person

Post by 13537storm »

I agree absolutely, filtering in this way would be a huge usability improvement, and far more efficient.
@fantastic_max could you raise a bug for this in bugzilla.zimbra.com if it's not already there?
And post a link here in any case. Thanks.
Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
918jjohnson
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Filter from person

Post by 918jjohnson »

[quote user="fantastic_max"]Hi,

This should be simple but I cannot find out how to filter a message that comes from a particular person say John Smith, who uses multiple email addresses. I can filter messages from John or from Smith but not from both. This should be simple but I just cannot work out how to do it or find anything online to help me with this.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Create a new filter with the rules set to "any" and individual rules for each email address you have for "John Smith". It's probably not safe to rely on the sender's display name, but the addresses will be unique. Then set an action to move the message to a specified folder. That's it.
I agree it would be helpful to just point to a contact and have it pick up the addresses, but the filter structure (built on Sieve) doesn't currently support drawing dynamic data into the filters. Best we might be able to do in the short term would be to create an action on a contact that would auto-populate all the known addresses into individual rules. If you think that would be helpful, please file an enhancement at bugzilla.zimbra.com.
fantastic_max

Filter from person

Post by fantastic_max »

Thanks a lot for this - I will drop a note into bugzilla about this as I agree it would make things a lot easier.