How do you charge for Zimbra?

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
Dirky

Post by Dirky »

I have a small customer who would like a Zimbra server setting up

for their small office, 3 to 4 users.
Presently they all have outlook express and about 5 mailboxes using identity

switching, it's a bit of a mess really, lots of spam too and no real way of organising the mail.

They also use a calendar mounted on the wall which is very messy, I've demo'd Zimbra to them and they like it :)
I'm wondering how best to charge for this. Obviously I will charge for the

hardware and my time. I'm interested in how others charge for this type of

work on a small scale. Is it possible to make a small charge for ongoing rental/maintenance etc?
thanks

D
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

The answer to your post tile is, you don't. You can't charge for the Zimbra OSS edition.
You can, as you've mentioned, charge for the hardware and your time to install it. If you want to provide on-going support for the installation you could charge a yearly fee, on 'on-call' fee, some form of hourly rate when you're on-site or working for them - any combination you like.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
dijichi2
Elite member
Elite member

Post by dijichi2 »

[QUOTE]The answer to your post tile is, you don't. You can't charge for the Zimbra OSS edition. [/QUOTE]
apart from him not mentioning OSS edition, where does it say that?
anyway, if you're installing and managing this for the company onsite, personally I'd just wrap everything into a yearly fee. i've found for small companies like this it's better to host it on a remote server and it gives you the option of running more than one company on the remote server. that way you get centralised management and efficiency of scale.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="dijichi2"]apart from him not mentioning OSS edition, where does it say that?[/QUOTE]Why do you assume it's the NE version as he's not mentioned that either. :p
Oh, you can certainly charge a hosting fee if that'w what you're doing but that's not the implication of what he's described. You can't charge for Zimbra, you can charge a fee for installing it and the hardware but not Zimbra nor any of the other open source products in the package.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
gmsmith
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by gmsmith »

[quote user="Dirky"]I have a small customer who would like a Zimbra server setting up

for their small office, 3 to 4 users.
Presently they all have outlook express and about 5 mailboxes using identity

switching, it's a bit of a mess really, lots of spam too and no real way of organising the mail.

They also use a calendar mounted on the wall which is very messy, I've demo'd Zimbra to them and they like it :)
I'm wondering how best to charge for this. Obviously I will charge for the

hardware and my time. I'm interested in how others charge for this type of

work on a small scale. Is it possible to make a small charge for ongoing rental/maintenance etc?
thanks

D[/QUOTE]
We typically charge a small fee ($500 buck area) for the base install/configuration package (done remotely) be it network edition or open source. Obviously Network Edition require Zimbra licensing (that we sell) and we charge nothing for the open source version. This includes documentation of the specific setup, installation of imapsync (and appropriate doco to support their mirgation) and email support for 10 days. On going support can be purchased if desired. This seems to work out pretty well for all parties involved. We even provide a standard test plan for people to be sure that everything works appropriately. Obviously more complicated installs are quoted based on requirements.
I agree, for smaller offices who need the advanced features (like Zimbra Mobile) are better off looking at a hosted offering from any one of the hosting partners.
adobrin
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by adobrin »

Not to be a stickler, but this is a pretty basic and fundamental part of the Open Source model, note the meaning of "Free Distribution" below (the MPL, and almost certainly the ZPL by derivation follow):

D. The Open Source Definition.

The Open Source Definition emphasizes the three key elements of free distribution, readily available source

code and the right to make derivative works. The Open Source Definition contains nine separate provisions and then

provides a list of licenses that conform to the Open Source Definition. An understanding of the provisions of the

Open Source Definition is essential to any discussion of Open Source and this section of this Article will set out the

nine elements of the Open Source Definition.

1. Free Distribution. “The license may not restrict any party from selling or giving away the software as a

component of an aggregate software distribution containing programs from several different sources. The license

may not require royalty or other fee for such sale.” 46

This section means that the license may make copies, sell or give away the software and not have to pay any one

for the privilege. Open Source Definition: Version 1.0 Comments, reprinted in Perens, supra note 17, at 176-80

(hereinafter OSD Comments). See also Gomulkiewicz, supra note 8, at 179 (discussing each section of the Open

Source Definition in detail).

by the way, you all wake up too early.
Dirky

Post by Dirky »

[quote user="gmsmith"]We typically charge a small fee ($500 buck area) for the base install/configuration package (done remotely) be it network edition or open source. Obviously Network Edition require Zimbra licensing (that we sell) and we charge nothing for the open source version. This includes documentation of the specific setup, installation of imapsync (and appropriate doco to support their mirgation) and email support for 10 days. On going support can be purchased if desired. This seems to work out pretty well for all parties involved. We even provide a standard test plan for people to be sure that everything works appropriately. Obviously more complicated installs are quoted based on requirements.
I agree, for smaller offices who need the advanced features (like Zimbra Mobile) are better off looking at a hosted offering from any one of the hosting partners.[/QUOTE]
Thanks guys, yes it was the open source edition I was reffering too.

I was considering setting up some samba shares for their small workgroup too, maybe a backup disk in the server also. So a locally hosted box will probably be better in this instance.
If you dont mind me asking, what model do you use for your ongoing support, a yearly contract maybe with monthly payments?
thanks

Mike
dijichi2
Elite member
Elite member

Post by dijichi2 »

[QUOTE]Why do you assume it's the NE version as he's not mentioned that either.

[/QUOTE]
well, i was.. assuming.. guessing.. oh never mind!! :)
[QUOTE]Oh, you can certainly charge a hosting fee if that'w what you're doing but that's not the implication of what he's described. You can't charge for Zimbra, you can charge a fee for installing it and the hardware but not Zimbra nor any of the other open source products in the package.[/QUOTE]
sure, i can charge a million bucks an account or copy if i want, as gmsmith pointed out, i think the only restriction is fair cost for source distribution. my legal knowledge is pretty shaky but i think that's the gist of it. i assume zimbra created the derivative license for the source distro for branding attribution for this reason.
[QUOTE]by the way, you all wake up too early.[/QUOTE]
i'm in europe, dunno what the others excuses are :D
[QUOTE]Thanks guys, yes it was the open source edition I was reffering too.

I was considering setting up some samba shares for their small workgroup too, maybe a backup disk in the server also. So a locally hosted box will probably be better in this instance.
If you dont mind me asking, what model do you use for your ongoing support, a yearly contract maybe with monthly payments?

[/QUOTE]
search on the forum for problems with integrating samba. personally i install another ldap server on a different port and run samba off that. i think others may have used the existing zimbra ldap DIT but i would consider that a bit dangerous!
for one small company i run the IT for with about 30 heads, i charge a yearly fee, paid yearly in advance, thats it and it includes the initial install and migration. we know each other well - for another company I don't know so well i charge quarterly in advance. network edition on one, open source on other. life's too short for me to start pricing per head or server or whatever, i prefer simple models!
mshanley
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mshanley »

[quote user="gmsmith"]We typically charge a small fee ($500 buck area) for the base install/configuration package (done remotely) be it network edition or open source. Obviously Network Edition require Zimbra licensing (that we sell) and we charge nothing for the open source version. This includes documentation of the specific setup, installation of imapsync (and appropriate doco to support their mirgation) and email support for 10 days. On going support can be purchased if desired. This seems to work out pretty well for all parties involved. We even provide a standard test plan for people to be sure that everything works appropriately. Obviously more complicated installs are quoted based on requirements.
I agree, for smaller offices who need the advanced features (like Zimbra Mobile) are better off looking at a hosted offering from any one of the hosting partners.[/QUOTE]
Hi there...

Would you mind sending me info on the install/config of imapsync?

I'm a windows convert and have my new linux ubuntu / zimbra 6.0GA setup installed.. I am looking at the other areas like imapsyn and xmpp...

any help would be greatly appreciated as i am still learning my way around this setup. :)
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="mshanley"]Hi there...

Would you mind sending me info on the install/config of imapsync?

I'm a windows convert and have my new linux ubuntu / zimbra 6.0GA setup installed.. I am looking at the other areas like imapsyn and xmpp...

any help would be greatly appreciated as i am still learning my way around this setup. :)[/QUOTE]You'll find details of IMAPSYNC in the wiki:
Guide to imapsync - Zimbra :: Wiki

Mail Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki
There's also several threads on using IMAPSYNC in the forums if you do a quick search.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra