instant email update

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
SpaceBass

instant email update

Post by SpaceBass »

Hey folks,

I'm quickly falling in love with Zimbra.

My goal for 2007 is to be MS free by the end of the year and Zimbra will be part of the picture.
I've successfully integrated with my AD domain (soon to be FDS I hope)...I've been on OS X for quite some time too...the kicker for me is outlook and its instant update. When an email arrives I see it almost instantly. I have filters that put different messages in different folders and I never have to worry if they are up to date. So what I've done on the OS X side is this: I have a very unimpressive XP box running XP Pro with remote desktop. When I log into a mac client I use remote desktop to open that XP desktop in a window which in turn has outlook running in full screen...the net result is an outlook window in OS X that doesnt take any processor cycles.

Its really not that I get that much email, its that I dont every worry if its up to date. I don't have to pole the server every 30 seconds (give or take), when a message arrives, I see it.
So the question is, how can I duplicate that effect with Zimbra? Im not too particular about the client, although I prefer not to use the web client locally if I can help it (mostly b/c Firefox 2.0 on OS X seems to be a memory hog and I like to quit it frequently and re-launch). Does anyone know of a client, even a webkit, that I can use that will satiate that instant update feature?
Thanks to all who work on this project... I'm blown away by the interface so far!
17629anand
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

instant email update

Post by 17629anand »

zimbra toaster is Windows only for now. File a request in bugzilla for an OSX toaster.
Rich Graves
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

instant email update

Post by Rich Graves »

which causes newly delivered mail to show up in standards-based IMAP clients such as Thunderbird and Outlook "immediately." Eudora and Outlook Express don't support IDLE. OS X Mail appears not to, but I imagine Apple will fix that eventually, and this might be worth looking at:
It">http://email.about.com/od/macosxmailadd ... p_idle.htm
It would be Really Nice if the web client had IDLE-like support as well. Our users are accustomed to near-instant delivery.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

instant email update

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="Rich Graves"]It would be Really Nice if the web client had IDLE-like support as well. Our users are accustomed to near-instant delivery.[/QUOTE]Bugzilla is the best place for an RFE, search and file.;)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
SpaceBass

instant email update

Post by SpaceBass »

I was totally unaware that IDLE functionality existed...

I downloaded Thunderbird (after trying the os x mail plugin) and pointed it to Zimbra and its perfect...Thanks Rich!
tim brennan
Advanced member
Advanced member

instant email update

Post by tim brennan »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Bugzilla is the best place for an RFE, search and file.;)[/QUOTE]
In this case, you don't need to bother: it's coming. It won't necessarily seem "soon" to you guys (it will be months not weeks) but it is coming. In fact, the instant-web-notification work isn't very difficult (and is working internally) but there are some specific technical issues with our servlet container that have to be resolved before we can release the feature in the product -- but that work is scoped and is on the schedule.
If you think about it for a minute, you can deduce that this *must* be coming: Zimbra has publicly announced it's plans for upcoming IM integration, and IM obviously doesn't work very well with a 30 second poll loop.
jurg

instant email update

Post by jurg »

[quote user="Rich Graves"]which causes newly delivered mail to show up in standards-based IMAP clients such as Thunderbird and Outlook "immediately." Eudora and Outlook Express don't support IDLE. OS X Mail appears not to, but I imagine Apple will fix that eventually, and this might be worth looking at:
It">http://email.about.com/od/macosxmailadd ... p_idle.htm
It would be Really Nice if the web client had IDLE-like support as well. Our users are accustomed to near-instant delivery.[/QUOTE]
I tried the os x mail plugin, but it does not work with zimbra. It works ok with other cyrus servers.