Feature Request: Ability to change the "From" address

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
angusc

Post by angusc »

When sending email (in my case using the web front end) it would be great (a necessity in my case) to be able to chage the "From" address.
I manage multiple domains, but when sending mail through Zimbra, I can only send from one user/domain.
Other webmail solutions offer you a drop down box to list all your registered From addresses that you would want to use. Registration of these alternate From addresses in other mail solutions usually requires some form of authentication to avoid abuse - this authentication might come in the form of proof of domain ownership for example.
The lack of this feature (is it lacking or have I just missed it!!?) leaves me, and im sure many others, using rickety (non-ajax based) mail solutions such as runbox instead :(
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

Hello, welcome to the forum.
I think the "Identity" feature (look in "Options", "Identity" tab) is what you're looking for...
angusc

Post by angusc »

hmmmm, I dont have an "identity" tab under options ... Perhaps my zimbra provider has removed it - is that possible?
I would add, that this type of feature would be best placed at the header section of composing a new email, perhaps above the "To:" and "CC:" Fields
What do you think?
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

You should see this with your Zimbra provider then : either he is running an old Zimbra version or removed the Identity feature...
angusc

Post by angusc »

Will do, thanks klug
I still feel that the feature would be easier to use as an available option when composing an email ...
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

It is:

Often organizations like schools REMOVE the identity options from the COS (class of service) so people don't misrepresent themselves.

COS > Features Tab > Mail Identities Checkbox
If the providers issue is creating spam accounts they can just uncheck the option to 'allow sending email from any address' but keep the 'identity' feature.

COS > Preferences Tab > Allow Sending Email From Any Address Checkbox

[quote]The name and address configured for the account creates the default mail identity. When Mail Identities is enabled, users can create additional mail identities to manage different roles. Each identity includes a name and email address. Users can set up mail identities from their account Option tabs

Note: To let users create email addresses for mail identities, on the Preferences tab, check Allow sending email from any address. If this is not enabled, users can only select from email addresses (something@yourdomain.com) or aliases (somethingelse@yourdomain.com) that you have configured.[/quote]
angusc

Post by angusc »

Thank you very much for such a comprehensive response.
As I haven't found many publicly available Zimbra providers offering solutions for single users like myself (simplyms.com is one), I will look to setup my own public Zimbra solution whereby I can configure exactly as I wish ...
Thanks again - fantastic product

/A
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

Since I you posted simplyms I assume you've scoured this list:

Getting">http://www.zimbra.com/partners/zimbra_hosting.html
Getting a VPS (Virtual Private Server) somewhere is often an excellent cost effective solution. Host your website, mail, and use it as a backup/remote storage solution!
keithop
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by keithop »

Just for clarity :)
Simply Mail Solutions ( http://www.simplymailsolutions.com ) offers a range of products based on zimbra from simply pop3/imap/webmail functionality from just £1 a month through to full zimbracs+mobile etc. at £3.99 a month.
It's a way of getting more people to see/test/play with zimbra for not very much money :)
Identities supoprt isn't included in the most basic package but is of course included in the zimbra cs package which of course is running on the latest 4.5.x zimbra tree :)
Hope that helps a bit!
ps. a vps is often overkill if all you need is a single box. Lots of work and probably more than £3.99 a month