Mail Filters

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
selliott
Advanced member
Advanced member

Mail Filters

Post by selliott »

HI,

I CAN NOT GET THIS FILTER TO WORK. AM I MISSING SOMETHING? I CANNOT GET ANY TO: FILTER WORKING.

THANK YOU,

SHERRY
Mail Filters.png
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Mail Filters

Post by mmorse »

how about putting in an email address instead?

moderator action: moved to users section of the forums
selliott
Advanced member
Advanced member

Mail Filters

Post by selliott »

Morning Mike,

I tried using the email address also, but it didn't work either. We are using the Network Trail edition version 4.5.5 on Fedora 4 SMP. Can you also tell me how the box "Do not process additional mail rules" works. Please forgive my ignorance in any of this, but this is all new to me.
Thank you for your time,

Sherry
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Mail Filters

Post by phoenix »

First thing, Zimbra NE isn't supported on FC4 - you should run it on a supported operating system.
Is this the only filter that isn't working? What happens if you use a single word for the 'contains'?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
selliott
Advanced member
Advanced member

Mail Filters

Post by selliott »

Bill,

It is the only one not working. I also tried a single word. At the time we started our evaluation Fedora was the only thing we had without purchasing one of the other operating systems. For the record, the evaluation is going very well. Our test users seem to like what they see so far.
Thanks,

Sherry
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Mail Filters

Post by phoenix »

I just have to make sure you know that we don't support FC4, glad the trial is going well. :)
Do you have any other rules that are being applied to email for this particular user? The 'Do not process...' option means that any rule checking will stop at that rule if it's successful. If you have other filters in this mailbox can you disable them so we can check if this one is failing. I assume the messages that are not being caught by this filter do actually have something that you think should be caught? Can you post a 'Show Original' for a message that's not getting caught by this filter?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Mail Filters

Post by mmorse »

To explain it graphically:
If you notice on the mail filters tab, see the 'move up'/'move down' in the upper right corner? It ranks them in order of importance/processing.
For instance I might have a filter to tag all mail where the from contains @zimbra.com
But if I check the 'do not process additional mail filter rules' it won't even attempt to run the next filter below it, which sorts email from forums@zimbra.com into a certain folder.

Alternatively, I could move the 'forums' filter above the 'from zimbra domain' filter, stop it from processing additional filters by checking the box, and add the tag in the 'forums' filter itself.

-But as you can see, that is a longer method when I want everything from @zimbra.com tagged with 'zimbra' anyway.

Filters apply to new/incomming mail; for existing mail, build a search to:user@domain.com (+you can save it for quick access later etc)

There is an RFE for: Bug">http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1112>Bug 1112 - a user should be able to run filter rules over an existing set of mail items
(I guess it should just read "Do not process additional filters" -dropping 'rules' at the end- as most people think of rules as being inside a filter.)
selliott
Advanced member
Advanced member

Mail Filters

Post by selliott »

Thanks both Bill and Mike,
There are no other rules created. I deleted that rule and changed it to tag an email that I send. Below is the Show Original:
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 10:23:38 -0400 (EDT)

To: selliott

Message-ID:

Subject: Rule Testing

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

X-Originating-IP: [192.168.24.209]
This test is supposed to tag anything I send to selliott@unctv.org with the tag "Sherry Working On".
Sherry Elliott

UNC-TV Systems Administrator
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Mail Filters

Post by mmorse »

[quote user="selliott"]I deleted that rule and changed it to tag an email that I send. [/quote]

And there would be the problem, it's not designed for outgoing mail.

[quote user="mmorse"]

Filters apply to new/incoming mail; for existing mail, build a search to:user@domain.com (+you can save it for quick access later etc)

There is an RFE for: Bug 1112 - a user should be able to run filter rules over an existing set of mail items

[/quote]

Build a search using the graphical 'advanced search' or using the parameters available in the search bar Search Tips - ZimbraWiki and save it (the little disk symbol) it will then show up in your sidebar.
selliott
Advanced member
Advanced member

Mail Filters

Post by selliott »

Wow.... The advanced search feature is cool... The more I play around with Zimbra the more I like it.... I sure have a lot to learn... And again, thank you all, for your prompt replies and patience with us newbies.
Sherry