GAL Browsing in 6.0

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

GAL Browsing in 6.0

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="blazeking"]Maybe Sam @ Zimbra is confusing these two bugs? I can't tell which beta that bug 14531 is included with. Maybe it hasn't been included in any public releases?[/QUOTE]That bug was resolved and is in the Release 6 Beta (from beta 1), the current beta release (as of the date of this post) are just for the OSS version.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
blazeking
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

GAL Browsing in 6.0

Post by blazeking »

Does that mean the FOSS beta I have installed does not have bug 14531's fix included? Is it in the NE beta?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

GAL Browsing in 6.0

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="blazeking"]Does that mean the FOSS beta I have installed does not have bug 14531's fix included? Is it in the NE beta?[/QUOTE]There is no NE beta publicly available as of this moment and yes, 14531 was supposedly fixed in Beta1 unless I'm misunderstanding bugzilla.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
blazeking
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

GAL Browsing in 6.0

Post by blazeking »

Ok, if it's included in beta1, then I can't find it's implementation, and neither can the OP nrc. That's what he asked:
[quote user="nrc"]Can anyone provide some details on how GAL Browsing is implemented in 6.0? I'm not able to find this feature in my test installation.
Bug 14531 - GAL via contacts folders with sorting, browsing and real sync[/QUOTE]
So, to repeat his question... How is Bug 14531 implemented?
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

GAL Browsing in 6.0

Post by mmorse »

Ok so, first you have to enable it - as we decided against it in Bug">http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=37600>Bug 37600 - prompt to automatically create GAL accounts (currently neither upgrade nor new installs; though I expect we'll someday re-consider for new installs probably)
[quote]zmgsautil createAccount -a galsync@domain.com -n zimbra --domain domain.com -t zimbra -p 1d

zmgsautil fullSync -a galsync@domain.com -n zimbra[/quote]Admin console configuration is added in the soon to be released D4/RC1:

http://i25.tinypic.com/2i0xmba.jpg />
What it is:

Previously since there were no notifications on deletes. Sync just enumerated through all accounts that had been created/modified since the last sync token/timestamp. If an admin deleted an entry there is nothing for to return, and hence the ZCO/ZD never got notified. This is solved by using contact folders to work against (which get populated with a datasource).

Search results (soap SyncGalRequest) will page (there are offset & limit attributes). Thus the result can be retrieved a chunk at a time, just like SearchResult for mail items with previous & next buttons.

Now the content of SyncGal response can come from either LDAP server, or from addressbook of gal sync accounts.To explain that:

-Traditionally the response would inline all the gal entries modified since last sync. If the client was doing initial gal sync, then it would return the entire gal in single soap response.

-With this new feature, the GAL sync client can fetch the content at a leisurely pace. The client can then use GetContactsRequest and list the ids as a batch, x a time.

-(Also added element to SyncGalResponse so the sync client doesn't have to do full sync as often.)
-All the full sync request (request without syncToken) will sync against LDAP so that the sync client downloading 50k contacts won't hog the mailbox. (But it is still possibly do do full against a galsync account as discussed below).

-With this fix, all the old ZCO and ZD clients will sync against LDAP for full sync, and use gal sync account for any incremental sync.

-If the new clients should set idOnly=true in SyncGalRequest, then even the full sync will use the galsync account and allow paginated retrieval of GAL contacts.

What it can do, but wasn't designed for:

Had a convo about what people were expecting in Bug">http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=37115>Bug 37115 - GalSyncAccountUtil forceSync should create non-existant entries if in query in short:
You can add additional/non-zimbra addresses to it (since we never emptyFolder and avoid contacts that don't have a comparable LDAP entry). So 'technically' Bug">http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29697>Bug 29697 - External (non-Zimbra) addresses in GAL was implemented...
However, you can loose changes to Zimbra internal/external ldap addresses in those contact folders super easily (on next LDAP change & fullSync, or next forceSync - unless you specifically turn sync on the datasource off and manually import, but that kinda makes it useless after all since now your doing more work...) ie: It's one way.
Sub-folder 'department sorting' seems to work ok with both full & force sync (though honestly editing LDAP fields that show in ZWC & ZAC is probably better long term), whomever you have managing the structure should understand they should only move, contact edits won't stay.
So, if someone wants to see everyone in a big folder (rather than search) you can share the galsync account's contact folder at will, but do it read only for the most part.
I know there were a lot of dupes into that RFE; some wanted to allow a few powerusers to add additional data on the gal members. Though actual LDAP entries would be way better, essentially they plan use this for a makeshift bug Bug">http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19429>Bug 19429 - more detailed access rights to update the GAL & Bug">http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5953>Bug 5953 - allow user to edit their own LDAP/GAL attributes (Long term we should really grant a specific set attrs right on modifyAccount permission just for the values the poweruser needs to touch.) - Even though it's not the intended purpose someone will use it this way...plus we don't expose every field in the admin console that we do in ZWC contacts app, and they don''t want to hop into the admin console just to update contact info.
To summarize intended usage:

At this time GAL sync accounts (partial syncing & paged results) are not enabled by default; should be manually configured by running zmgsautil.
The tool zmgsautil supports three sync modes, trickleSync, fullSync and forceSync. The default polling interval used by datasource invokes fullSync. trickleSync brings in new and modified contacts. fullSync also updates deleted contacts. forceSync reload the all contacts, and should be used in case GAL search parameters have changed significantly (LDAP filter, search base, etc)
Three main configuration possibilities are Zimbra GAL only, external GAL only, and both Zimbra and external GAL. When GAL sync accounts are not fully configured. e.g. If zimbraGalMode is both but GAL sync account is set up for Zimbra only or if GAL sync accounts are in maintenance, then traditional LDAP based search/sync/autocomplete will be done.
nrc

GAL Browsing in 6.0

Post by nrc »

What I (and I'm pretty sure some others) were expecting from this RFE was a way to browse the GAL in the same way we browse Contacts through the Address Book tab.
What you're describing covers GAL sync. Once we've established a galsync account is there some additional step that allows us to share that as an address book that users can browse as with Contacts?
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

GAL Browsing in 6.0

Post by mmorse »

Yup besides just searching you can 'browse it' like a contact folder, as I mentioned above & Sam said just after (he deleted his post as it was in mine):
[quote user="15539sam"]As I'm sure you've determined, my comments were about pagination. Regarding GAL as a contact folder, it should be in the betas. Read comment 79 in bug 14531 on how to set up the GAL sync account. Once that is setup and working you share the appropriate contact folder of this account with your users and the GAL will be available as a contact folder.[/quote]
Share the gal sync accounts address book folder as read only with an everyoneInMyOrg@yourdomain.com dist list, accept & browse it (yay paging).
zmmailbox modifyFolderGrant. Running createMountPoint on each account would be a pain/we don't have Bug">http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=34283>Bug 34283 - send share notice email from zmmailbox yet - easier to just login/'view account' from the admin console & make the share. (Could open an RFE to auto-mount for everyone in the domain when the galsync account is created if you want.) Also in 6.0 there's share discovery, and new members of dist lists will now get existing share notices if you set zimbraDistributionListSendShareMessageToNewMembers TRUE if you'd like to create a new sharegalmonkey@ list then add users later.)
If you give someone manage rights (a not-intended function, subject to change):

Changes to Zimbra addresses (internal & external LDAP) will get wiped.

At present, the only thing about Zimbra addresses that won't get wiped is if you sort into sub-folders.

You can add non-Zimbra addresses at present.
15539sam
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

GAL Browsing in 6.0

Post by 15539sam »

can't resist ... great chance to show off enhancement 7473. If you share the contact folder(s) in the GAL sync account with a DL, members of that DL can discover the share in their sharing preferences.
nrc

GAL Browsing in 6.0

Post by nrc »

Thanks all, this is what I was trying to understand. I'll set up a GAL sync, share it, and give it a try. Share discovery is also very useful in this context.
blazeking
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

GAL Browsing in 6.0

Post by blazeking »

What is meant by "datasource-name"? The CLI commands to enable GAL sync give me this error (haven't specified "datasource-name"):
[zimbra@testzimbra ~]$ zmgsautil fullSync -a galsync@testzimbra.lakecoe.org -n

error: Missing argument for option:n

zmgsautil: {command}

createAccount -a {account-name} -n {datasource-name} --domain {domain-name} -t zimbra|ldap [-f {folder-name}] [-p {polling-interval}]

deleteAccount [-a {account-name} | -i {account-id}]

trickleSync [-a {account-name} | -i {account-id}] [-d {datasource-id}] [-n {datasource-name}]

fullSync [-a {account-name} | -i {account-id}] [-d {datasource-id}] [-n {datasource-name}]

forceSync [-a {account-name} | -i {account-id}] [-d {datasource-id}] [-n {datasource-name}]

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I figured it out. In the Admin Console, when configuring the GAL, it states "Datasource name for internal:zimbra". So adding "zimbra" to the end of the command above ran successfully.