quick question moving email?

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
killmasta93

quick question moving email?

Post by killmasta93 »

Hi,
I was looking on zimbra as i see the option to redirect an email but the issue is that it does not keep the date of the original email, is it possible though zm command to do so? moving certain emails to another inbox without modifying the date of the email?
Thank you
rhondachurchill99

Re: quick question moving email?

Post by rhondachurchill99 »

I want to begin by saying I have no idea what "Zimbra" is and I have read posts on this site about the problem I am having and didn't understand the answers that were given or what was going on and some of the answers had a hostile feel to them, accusing a poster of not reading the solutions that had been offered already (which, as I said, I did not understand). I am only here because last evening I was sitting and right in the middle of writing an email, all of a sudden, the page started to do something and

HTTP ERROR 502

Problem accessing ZCS upstream server. Cannot connect to the ZCS upstream server. Connection is refused.
Possible reasons:

upstream server is unreachable
upstream server is currently being upgraded
upstream server is down

Please contact your ZCS administrator to fix the problem.

Powered by Nginx-Zimbra://
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

rhondachurchill99 wrote:I want to begin by saying I have no idea what "Zimbra" is and I have read posts on this site about the problem I am having and didn't understand the answers that were given or what was going on and some of the answers had a hostile feel to them, accusing a poster of not reading the solutions that had been offered already (which, as I said, I did not understand). I am only here because last evening I was sitting and right in the middle of writing an email, all of a sudden, the page started to do something and

HTTP ERROR 502

Problem accessing ZCS upstream server. Cannot connect to the ZCS upstream server. Connection is refused.
Possible reasons:

upstream server is unreachable
upstream server is currently being upgraded
upstream server is down

Please contact your ZCS administrator to fix the problem.

Powered by Nginx-Zimbra://
That error typically means that the Zimbra mailbox server (the "upstream server"; where your mailbox actually lives) is not happy but...

Your web browser doesn't actually talk to your mailbox server directly; it talks to a secure Zimbra Proxy server (which runs Nginx proxy software); the proxy server then securely brokers communications between your web browser and your actual mailbox server.

The error message is simply the Zimbra Proxy server service letting you know that it can't talk to the mailbox server where your mailbox lives.

Assuming you are not the system administrator, you do need to reach out to your company's Zimbra system administrator to get this sorted out.

Hope that helps,
Mark
killmasta93

Post by killmasta93 »

so 1.3k views and no one knows how to move emails though zimbra without changing the modification date?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

killmasta93 wrote:so 1.3k views and no one knows how to move emails though zimbra without changing the modification date?
Well, the simple answer is that the timestamps are added by the mail server and they are not modifiable by the user. If this was important to you then a quick internet search would have found the answer. ;)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
killmasta93

Post by killmasta93 »

correct by the user, but if im the sysadmin with root access?
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

killmasta93 wrote:correct by the user, but if im the sysadmin with root access?
There is no email system that protects against the "SysAdmin Problem". Not Zimbra, not Gmail, not Microsoft 365, Courier, Dovecot etc. etc.
killmasta93

Post by killmasta93 »

So when i was running postfix with webmin i was able to move email without touching the email headers and time stamps. and finally found out on zimbra

you need to know at least the subject of the email
zmmailbox -z -m in@mydomain.com s -t message " prometheus"
you then get a list of emails of the subject prometheus, take a close look at the ID number choose which one you want

this case we chose id 2066 of the email now we need to take a look at the dump of the email and look at the blob path

Code: Select all

zmmetadump -m in@mydomain.com -i 2066

after finding the location of the blob path import to the email you want

Code: Select all

zmmailbox -z -m crm@mydomain.com addMessage /Inbox/ /opt/zimbra/store/0/8/msg/0/2066-5917.msg

So in theory its possible to move emails without touching email headers and time stamps

hope this helps someone else