Installing zimbra 9 using its source code and using email client such as outlook to configure the mail accounts.

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Nishant

Installing zimbra 9 using its source code and using email client such as outlook to configure the mail accounts.

Post by Nishant »

Hi,

We are using Zimbra 8.8.15 OSE in our infra from past 2 years and looking to further upgrade on zimbra 9.

As zimbra 9 is an enterprise edition, we are looking at possibility to install it using publically available binaries and source code(As of now zimbra 9 OSE is not available on official website ). And further after installation we can use any email client such as outlook/Thunderbird to configure the mail accounts.

Is anyone has worked around it or have any suggestions do let us know.

Or anyone working on zimbra 9 OSE please reply.

Regards,
Nishant
ghen
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0

Re: Installing zimbra 9 using its source code and using email client such as outlook to configure the mail accounts.

Post by ghen »

You will get little benefit moving from 8.8.15 to 9.0 as they have the same EOL date: 31 Dec 2023. And the main feature of 9 is the "modern" UI, which is not open source.
So it could be more interesting to wait for Zimbra 10, with EOL date Dec 2025.

See https://www.zimbra.com/support/support- ... lifecycle/
Nishant

Re: Installing zimbra 9 using its source code and using email client such as outlook to configure the mail accounts.

Post by Nishant »

Thanks for reply

I am aiming to update zimbra to version 9. So how can we move from 8.8.15 to zimbra 9 without modern UI.
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by BradC »

Nishant wrote:I am aiming to update zimbra to version 9. So how can we move from 8.8.15 to zimbra 9 without modern UI.
So you want to "upgrade" from a version that is supported by Zimbra and gets regular security fixes to a version that isn't supported by Zimbra and you are reliant on others building the packages? That doesn't even consider the mess that is trying to do an incremental patch update on the V9 OSS builds.

I have to ask "Why"?
manens

Post by manens »

We are doing the Zimbra builds for some customers and I have the same opinion as BradC, Why ? Zimbra is providing NE builds for a cheap price regarding the maintenance cost it involve doing the Zimbra build, maintain it, the 180+ dependancies and create patch. If you consider all of this, Zimbra is inexpensive whith a good quality. You will earn a lot of time and avoid painful tasks.