Standalone outlook connector

Ask your questions and get help with Zimbra's Outlook Connector.
davebath

Post by davebath »

I'm sure this may have been answered already, but I can't find anythign definitive.
Zimbra represents a very interesting solution, but the scale of users required to make it worthwhile make it impossible for small business/home users to achieve somethign very important.. offline sync.
Whilst the web interface is incredibly powerful, there are times when you simply dont have a network connection. I work in a very small development team (
The Network Version, even at Small Business level is complete overkill, yet the Outlook connector is critical. Could you not employ pricing strategy similar to Ximian and sell licenses per-connection additionally? In this way, users of the Network Version can have a full Zimbra subscription, and also enjoy a rightofuse for the Outlook Connector. The rest of us who simply want a very very low user number of connectors could opt to use (albeit unsupported) the OSS version and just buy 3 or 4 Outlook Connector licenses at , say, $25/go.
In this way, you allow companies like mine to experience Zimbra, to use it everyday, and to develop extensions so we can integrate our existing middleware apps into it - most importantly winning you over the large scale corporate customers required to make the subscription model work. We can't recommend what we can't use day-to-day!
Cheers, and sorry if this has been covered millions of times already.
Dave
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

I won't reiterate our entire choice of how/why we got here for bundles and price but even with the OSS Edition you can use Outlook as an IMAP client for offline access to email. This allows you to have a local copy of all your mail and you can compose/read offline then resync once your connected again. Of course the Outlook Connector let's you sync contacts and calendar in addition to e-mail but your request seems to be for just mail at this time.
davebath

Post by davebath »

Hi there,
Thanks for the reply.
I appreciated we could use pop or imap create local copies. However, unfortunately we would need the calendaring and contacts sync as well. All are heavily used.
Cheers.
Dave
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="davebath"]Hi there,
Thanks for the reply.
I appreciated we could use pop or imap create local copies. However, unfortunately we would need the calendaring and contacts sync as well. All are heavily used.
Cheers.
Dave[/QUOTE]
Ok so in that case you'd need the connector and hence the Network Edition. While we don't plan to change our pricing in the short term we'll continue to listen to the community feedback on the topic.
davebath

Post by davebath »

Yes, I thought this might be the case.
Oh well, Zimbra was a nice idea! But I guess without this it means sticking to exchange + outlook.
I'll continue to follow the developments though.
Thanks for your replies!
drivencompassion

Post by drivencompassion »

Still evaluating Zimbra and just wanted to clarify IMAP support in outlook for the OSS version.

Migrate/upgrade to Network Edition would be the next logical step, but initially I am still in a cloud on if Zimbra allows at least IMAP connectivity in Outlook to check and respond to email.

I understand that calendering, etc requires the MAPI connector, but will the OSS version at least allow us to have standard email functionality in outlook that is provided by every other system?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="drivencompassion"]Still evaluating Zimbra and just wanted to clarify IMAP support in outlook for the OSS version.

Migrate/upgrade to Network Edition would be the next logical step, but initially I am still in a cloud on if Zimbra allows at least IMAP connectivity in Outlook to check and respond to email.

I understand that calendering, etc requires the MAPI connector, but will the OSS version at least allow us to have standard email functionality in outlook that is provided by every other system?[/QUOTE]

Yes both the OSS and Network edition support standard IMAP and POP clients.
drivencompassion

Post by drivencompassion »

So until the network version becomes feasible for our and many other organizations, we won't be able to use products like http://www.clearcontext.com unless the zimbra community embraces http://openconnector.org/?
>

Anyone know of any work around to get MAPI support in the OS version for now?
mintra
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mintra »

I am very impessed with Zimbra, it is obvious tha the rate at which work has been done and the level of proffesionalisim high. I am sure this all comes at a cost and for this reason I want to sell Zimbra to my clients.
Having now done the costings it is Clear that Zimbra is likely to be more successful as an open source product. I think there may be enough people willing to pay for the full version, but I was looking for something which saved them money over Exchange.
Zimbra is more expensive.

I tried SUSE open exhange (that cusomer went elsewhere after two years and bought exchange).
Tried IMAP with OSASync (outlook stops the connector when it crashes sync of multiple databsases is not supportable).
Anyway this whole experience has driven me to offer two products to my clients
Zimbra open source where they will use web or Thunderbird

Exchange server if they wnat to use outlook. (I set my first one up tommorow)
Microsoft did not get where they are today by being the higher cost vendor

MS DOS was about 1/5 the price of CPM/86
Add more functions to the costed version and sell the outlook connector for a reasonable fixed price.
Frankly I am dedicated to seeing Microsoft move to Legacy, but I do have to pay some bills, I have lost too many customers by not having and exchange level product.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="mintra"]Add more functions to the costed version and sell the outlook connector for a reasonable fixed price.
Frankly I am dedicated to seeing Microsoft move to Legacy, but I do have to pay some bills, I have lost too many customers by not having and exchange level product.[/QUOTE]
Just curious what your math is on Exchange vs Zimbra. How large are these user bases?
Also what specifically do you consider missing to cover the functionality of Exchange your customers use today? This list from my experience is different for everybody, but usually has some overlap.