GA version of OC and firewalls...

Ask your questions and get help with Zimbra's Outlook Connector.
kevindods
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by kevindods »

Hi,
Just installed and used the current OC in the GA release and have found that I have problems sending email (ie nothing moves from outbox) that I never used to have with other versions - excepting previous one I didnt test adequately! I have sent when the clientside FW (Jetico) is off but not all the time and it certainly wont recover when it has previously failed. Not sure if something is trying to make an unexpected or unusual connection that for some reason I can't see in the FW logs.
The initial sync to the local OST works fine so I know that it is authenticating and communication runs ok. The mail item remains in the OST outbox locally and cannot be opened or deleted as it says it is partly sent. Before I go digging and getting debug logs out etc are there any suggestions?
Outlook 2003, SP2, current GA Zimbra and connector. Outlook works fine to an Exchange server and thunderbird runs well as email client to Zimbra as does web client.
Clues or comment?
Thanks
15539sam
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 15539sam »

Are there any special characteristics of the messages you are trying to send (large messages, many attachments, etc)?
Do all messages fail to send?
kevindods
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by kevindods »

Hi Sam,
No problem with web client, nor IMAP client. No special characters, just a message titled: Test Message and body: test1
...nice and simple ;-) but all sending of messages are failing using the Outlook connector. Tried killing profile, deleting files, removing connector rebooting, reinstalling and re-syncing but still fails on send.
Tried on several XP SP2/Outlook 2k3 SP2 client systems and 2 GA Zimbra servers (one Network RHEL the other OSS Fedora 3) currently being tested. Both exhibit same behaviour. Outlook connector obviously from a single network GA install but encountered no problems with the installs or downloads etc. Tried all this with servers over the net and locally!
What would you like me to send you/investigate? Would be nice to see it all working again! ;-) Is there anything other than outlook that would attempt to make a call to the net?
K
bobby
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by bobby »

hi kevin can you send us an http trace? i attached a zip of the WinHttpTraceCfg utility here.
just run it like this to enable the trace:
WinHttpTraceCfg -e 1 -d 0 -l c:somepathkevindods -m 100000
e 1 enables the trace (winhttptracecfg -e 0 will disable it)

d 0 sends it to a file

l ... tells it where the file should go

m 100000 lets the trace get to be 100mb
then restart outlook and try to do stuff. after failing to accomplish the stuff, close outlook, disable the trace, zip up the trace file (found in the path specified above) and pm it to me or sam
winhttptracecfg.zip
kevindods
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by kevindods »

Hi Bobby
Thanks, I have done the trace but for some reason PM wont let me attach the file and I cant get the message withing posting limit!
Got an email address I can post to?
Kevin
15539sam
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 15539sam »

I sent you a PM with the email addresses.
kevindods
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by kevindods »

Hi Guys
I have been trying to capture the output but each time I turn on the logging it clears and sends OK! I will persist as the problem hasnt vanished but it seems now not to be related to the FW nor the AV running on the PC (none, nod32, trend or AVG).
It happens every few times in in the order of:

1) Create new profile

2) Sync mailbox (less than 1500 messages)

3) Send/recieve ok 1-5 times

4) Crash and not send

5) Restart stil crashes

6) Set logging on

7) Item sends on restart!

8) Return to 3) ;-)
If I can grab the logs appropriately then I'll send them up but I thought this info may be of some use as it stands.
Kevin
15539sam
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 15539sam »

If you ever get a crash please create a full core dump and send it to us.
kevindods
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by kevindods »

Hi Sam
I found a few things in the process of investigating this issue that may be useful:
1) AV does affect the connector - esp nod32 with outlook protection, seems to cause intermittent hanging.
2) After importing from a PST (exported from an Exchange calendar) any recurrent calendar appointments will crash Outlook during a sync.
I have reinstalled Zimbra, wiped out the clients and started again and the error is not repeating. It could have been that either 1) or 2) could have caused the problem and it had manifested itself on the accounts for future sync attempts or it was a bizarre unrepeated problem on the server install.
Cant help more at the moment but it does make me wonder if Outlook client problems could affect Zimbra? Any reasonable route that could take?
Kevin
15539sam
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 15539sam »

For the AV problem, can you please file a bug indicating the problem and include the exact version of the AV software that you are using and how its configured. The goal should be to provide us with enough information so we can reproduce what you are seeing here (av software version, windows version, service packs, etc - msinfo32.exe dump would be helpful).
For the sync crasher, describe the exact steps used to reproduce the problem. Can we get the PST that has the source data please?