Outlook connector available as .exe for Wine install?

Ask your questions and get help with Zimbra's Outlook Connector.
concept

Post by concept »

Hi all. I'm attempting to get Outlook 2003 and the Zimbra connector running under Wine (CrossOver office, actually.) I've got Outlook running fine, but have run into the following problem when attempting to install the Zimbra connector:
Since the Outlook connector is distributed as a .msi file, I have to install and use the MS installer to set it up under Cross Over office. The Microsoft Installer for Win98 is the only one that I've been able to get running under XoverOffice. Problem is that you have to install Outlook 2003 in a Win2000 emulation environment (in this case a CrossOver bottle.) Installing the Win 98 version of MS installer won't work in this case, and the newer versions don't jive with XOver Office.
Is there an installer in .exe format that I might be able to use? Persuant to this, are there any .dll files or other bits and pieces that I might need to make the connector work? Any advice would be welcome, even if it consists of "why the hell are you trying to do this anyway?"
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

I won't even ask why. The Outlook connector has only been tested in a couple very specific environments so try do use it differently will lead to problems. We only have the msi, there is no exe available.
15539sam
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 15539sam »

The MSI contains these DLL's:
LSLIB32.dll

LSMIME32.dll

LSMSABP32.dll

LSMSCFG32.dll

LSMSSP32.dll

LSMSUTIL32.dll

LSMSXP32.dll
Each DLL gets copied to the MAPI system directory. For Outlook 2003 in US-EN the MAPI system directory is c:program filescommon filessystemMSMAPI1033.
Once the DLL's are copied, the MAPI provider needs to be registered with MAPI. This happens by modifying the MAPISVC.INF file in the MAPI system directory. If you backup MAPISVC.INF, run the MSI and diff the new and old MAPISVC.INF you can see what needs to be added to register the provider.
Finally, 3 registry keys get created that allow default values to be placed in the provider configuration dialog. The keys are:
HKCUSoftwareimbraimbraConnectionMethod - REG_DWORD - 0 for HTTP 1 for HTTPS

HKCUSoftwareimbraimbraServerName - REG_SZ - server name

HKCUSoftwareimbraimbraServerPort - REG_DWORD - the port to connect to
If you can install the MSI on any machine, you can get the bits and follow these instructions to manually install them on any other machine. Like Kevin mentions, this is unsupported.
concept

Post by concept »

Many thanks -- I'll give this a shot and let you know if it works.
wallspc

Post by wallspc »

I feel as though I am pretty close but I am not quite there.

The">http://www.wallspc.com/screenshot/Screenshot.png
The one thing that never happened was the prompt for the zimbra information when I started outlook. I was able to go into add new account and select zimbra connector under 3rd party on the account type list and add the account. However at no point did it ever prompt me for any server or username information. I now have my account added in outlook as you can see in the above screenshot but I can not edit the server info via outlook. I get the following error when I try "This E-Mail Account cannot be configured. Please run Outlook and choose this profile before attempting to make changes to it." How would one go about manually configuring this outside of outlook?
15539sam
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 15539sam »

the UI probably doesn't get displayed because the mapi control panel applet isn't there. You must have that to configure the profile. Profiles are stored in the registry so if you configure one on windows, you could copy the profile from your windows box and import it somehow into something the wine exe can use.
wallspc

Post by wallspc »

[quote user="15539sam"]the UI probably doesn't get displayed because the mapi control panel applet isn't there. You must have that to configure the profile. Profiles are stored in the registry so if you configure one on windows, you could copy the profile from your windows box and import it somehow into something the wine exe can use.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply - If you can give me the specific registry keys that contain the profile I could easily accomplish the import. The only reference to my Zimbra server address I can find in the registry is under HKEY_USERSS-1...SoftwareMicrosoftOffice11.0OutlookOptionsCalenderInternet Free/Busy the Read URL string
15539sam
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 15539sam »

Under

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWindows Messaging SubsystemProfiles
you'll find a key for each profile on your system.
kevinpaz

Post by kevinpaz »

I'm going to bring this thread back to life. I'm also trying to install with Crossover. I got the install to work and all the dialogs are OK, except where it shows the location of the datafile. It says "File missing", and i'm unable to add a new file of that type.
Is this as simple as copying over a single file to a certain folder?
Jbrabander
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Jbrabander »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]We only have the msi, there is no exe available.[/QUOTE]
Actually, having the exe available would save some headaches for me and others I imagine. We're setup so that users can't install programs. But you can't do a "runas" on an msi to enable installing under an administrator username. So I've got to log out the current user, log myself in, run the msi, and log the user back in. An awful lot of extra steps!