Office Customization Tool PRF file

Ask your questions and get help with Zimbra's Outlook Connector.
snissen

Post by snissen »

We're using ZCS Connector 5.0.1 with Outlook 2007 SP1. To customize an Office installation, you use the Office Customization Tool (OCT), started with the command, "setup /admin". The OCT has the ability to use an Outlook PRF text file, which defines the profile you want Outlook to use. The OCT assumes you created this PRF in an earlier version of Outlook or Exchange, and it doesn't describe the PRF file specification.
Obviously, I'd like to point to our Zimbra profile with a PRF. Does anyone have a PRF file for Zimbra? If so, could you post it here, so everyone could see it?
Thanks. Sande
snissen

Post by snissen »

No postings, huh? I can't believe that no one else has ever created a PRF for Zimbra. It would solve so many ZCS Connector installation problems, especially for multiple users (different userprofiles) on a shared computer.
It would also be useful for the quick delete/recreate you have to do to fix mail profile problems. About 80% of the installations I'm seeing are failing in some aspect, and the fix in every case is to recreate the mail profile, and let it create a new zimbra*.zdb cache.
If anyone has a PRF file that's working, please let me see it. Sande
15539sam
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 15539sam »

Sounds like PRF's aren't being used by anyone yet. There are a couple things built in the ZCO connector that may help you:
KEY: \HKCUSoftwareimbraimbraServerName

TYPE: REG_SZ

DESCR: default server name when a new profile is created
KEY: \HKCUSoftwareimbraimbraServerPort

TYPE: REG_DWORD

DESCR: server port to connect to (ie, 80 or 443 decimal)
KEY: \HKCUSoftwareimbraimbraConnectionMethod

TYPE: REG_DWORD

DESCR: 1 for secure connection (SSL) 0 for clear (NO SSL)
When a new profile is created, the values above are used as the defaults. The logged in users username is the default username. The goal is that when a profile is created by a script, if the the settings above are configured correctly, once the user launches outlook all they need to enter is their zimbra password.
For 5.0 server/clients, we have an unsupported command line tool that can create the profiles for you (CreateZimbraProfile.exe). Would that help with what you're doing?
snissen

Post by snissen »

Thanks for the fast response, sam. I tried those registry keys with ZCS Connector versions 5.0 and 5.0.1 and they did nothing. (Specifically, they were not used in the creation of new profiles, in my testing.) Are they fixed in 5.0.2?
I would love to try CreateZimbraProfile.exe, even if it is unsupported. I'll try anything that will make profile creation less problematic. Sande
15539sam
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 15539sam »

1. configure the registry keys

2. control panel -> mail ->show profiles -> add

3. give the profile a name

4. check "Manully configure server settings..."

5. select 'other' then "Zimbra Collaboration Server"

6. default values should appear.

I've attached 'CreateZimbraProfile.exe' as a zip file to this post. For information about how to use it, see this:
CreateZimbraProfile - Zimbra :: Wiki
CreateZimbraProfile.zip