Rename and Delete shared folders with admin privileges - ZCO 5.0.10.

Ask your questions and get help with Zimbra's Outlook Connector.
balocco

Post by balocco »

Hi everybody.
We are using Zimbra 5.0.10_GA_2638.UBUNTU6.NETWORK with Zimbra Connector for Outlook 5.0.10.
We cannot rename and delete shared folders (well, not the root folder, but subfolders) using Outlook and ZCO. We only can create new folders and move email messages into them. We have tried with both Outlook 2003 and 2007: same result. Sometimes if I try to rename a folder with Outlook 2003, it starts to crash continuously because it cannot sync folder with Zimbra server.

All sharing have been created with admin privileges, so users could create, modify, share, delete, etc etc shared folders.
We can delete folders only using Shift+Del keys (in Windows Shift+Del keys delete the element without using the Recycle bin.
Everything works well with web client, even if it's a little bit slow renaming shared folders.
Thanks in advance.
Bye bye
tmirell

Post by tmirell »

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows the solution or if this is a known bug which has or will be fixed.

I'm currently using zimbra Release 5.0.16_GA_2921.RHEL5_64_20090429051405 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition

with thunderbird as my email client.
I've shared a folder on another account, and have given full admin rights to that share.

I've attached to that shared folder and can successfully read the contents of it, and I'm also able to create new folders within it.

the problem I'm having is, I'm unable to rename folders and unable to delete thosefolders once I've created them.
I notice I'm also getting an error when trying to move a folder.

The error message I get while in thunderbird when deleting is: the server responded: RENAME failed: cannot rename mailbox to other user's namespace

I've also tried to delete the folder while within the webmail client of zimbra, and I still cant delete.
The only time I can actually delete is when I log in under the owner of the email address which is being shared.

if anyone has seen this problem please let me know.

Thanks alot!!
fsiegel
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by fsiegel »

A soft delete of a folder in the delegate store is actually a move to the trash of the primary store. We don't support this operation; unfortunately, the error message is misleading. We now do a better job with the error message.
The original bug was 41273. This explains the situation. Fixed in 5.0.20 and 6.0.3. It still doesn't address the soft delete problem, but if you read the bug, you'll see what it fixes.
Bug 42178 gives a better error message. Fixed in 5.0.21 and 6.0.3.
Bottom line -- if you really want to delete the folder from the share, use Shift-Del, a hard delete. Make sure it's selected (blue).
tmirell

Post by tmirell »

Hi,
Thanks for the response.

I'm not sur ehow to do a hard delete in thunderbird.

I press shift and delete but does nothing.

the only option I have would be to right click and delete, or press the big red X on top to delete, which always sends (or tries to) send it to the trash.
Were you referring to outlook or the web based client?
Thanks.
fsiegel
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by fsiegel »

I was referring to Outlook. We only support hard deletes of folders from delegate stores. I don't know Thunderbird, but there must be some way to do a hard delete there, and bypass the trash. Note that this is a "folder" thing only. We'll support deletes of individual messages
tmirell

Post by tmirell »

Thanks alot for the explanation.

But I have one more question because of this issue.
Since no one has the option to delete folders on thier own within the shared folder using soft delete, the way I have been working around this was to log in as the main user of the shared folders and delete them myself.

However, when these other users log in to thunderbird, they will get an error something having to do with "acl" and around 2-3 other error messages because (to my understanding) thunderbird's subscriptions to those folders are still active but the folders themselves are gone.
So, if there had been only 1 or 2 users sharing that folder, I'd be fine with unsubscribing manually through thunderbird, but there are many users using the shared folder which makes things a bit messy and hard to keep track.

therefore, now what is happening is, one user is getting these error messages because a few folders were deleted, but at this point I dont know which ones, which is now like a needle in a haystack because there are so many folders within the shared folder.
Is there a way to unsubscribe all folders from all users who are currently subscribed to that folder which has been deleted or somehow refresh the subscribed folders to those folders that exist?

Is there a location in the MySQL Zimbra database which keeps track of which users are subscribed to which folders?

Thanks alot for your help!
fsiegel
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by fsiegel »

This sounds mainly like an issue with Thunderbird. Once the folder is deleted, you can't get rid of the share (unsubscribe). You could do it right before you delete the folder. I assume you're doing this in Outlook. Before you delete the folder, right click on it, hit properties, go to the sharing tab and remove the share. Then delete the folder.
I don't know anything about the MySQL database. That would be for the server guys.