How to remove this Pop-Up from Zimbra Connector for Microsoft Outlook

Ask your questions and get help with Zimbra's Outlook Connector.
jdaferner

How to remove this Pop-Up from Zimbra Connector for Microsoft Outlook

Post by jdaferner »

Hi there

We have this issue where after the updating windows 10 to build 1909. Soon after opening up Outlook we have this pop-up:

The registry settings installed by the Zimbra Connector for Outlook (ZCO) have been changed. This might be due to recent Microsoft Office Updates. ZCO will now launch an external program to reset the registry setting. You might see a User Account Control message box asking for your permission. Please allow UAC to run the external program. If permission is denied, some ZCO feature will not work correctly. [Yes / No] button.

Office Version: Microsoft Office 2016 Standard
Lewis-H

Re: How to remove this Pop-Up from Zimbra Connector for Microsoft Outlook

Post by Lewis-H »

This happens because ZCO tries to insert the following via one .vbs they use and fail.
Enter the entries manually and this should go away.

For Office Pro Plus x64
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY\MACHINE\sOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\Preferences"
{D00FDE68-3E80-4f8c-899D-D9DD16BA7D1D} REG_DWORD 0x1
{FA9628A0-F223-4d5d-B314-E01BC8100572} REG_DWORD 0x1

For Office Pro Plus x86
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY\MACHINE\sOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\Preferences"
{D00FDE68-3E80-4f8c-899D-D9DD16BA7D1D} REG_DWORD 0x1
{FA9628A0-F223-4d5d-B314-E01BC8100572} REG_DWORD 0x1
wlacroix

Post by wlacroix »

We are also having this issue.

Connector version 8.8.15.1848 and 9.0.0.1869
Office 2016 and 2019 standard.

Seems that this happens every Tuesday when Microsoft pushes new patches.

Is there a perm fix for it? I have connector on 170 units and the IT team is getting a little miffed dealing with this week after week.

Users do not have admin rights so they call into the help desk every time, we click yes, enter admin credentials then they are good again until the next Microsoft updates get pushed out.

We have not tried the registry entry method yet. Has anyone had any perm success with this method?

Regards,
Wally
mcauditor

Post by mcauditor »

This is happening to us quite frequently as well. Hope there is a solution, just a two person IT staff and having to touch 100+ workstations after every Office update is problem.
patrickwilson82
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15

Post by patrickwilson82 »

I just applied these registry settings on three of my users' machines this morning. If anyone has any success with this please let me know. I'm also noticing an issue where if the user clicks "No" on this prompt, the Outlook search function will break and I have to rebuild their indexing. Very annoying.
AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Hi, did anyone found a working Solution? Same problem here.
Windows 10 / Outlook 2019 32Bit / ZOC 9.0.0.1891
patrickwilson82
Advanced member
Advanced member

Unfortunately no. Most of my users just ignore it. I haven't pushed any harder to find a solution as I'm afraid we'll be going to Office 365 later this year.
rleiker
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by rleiker »

This is a known issue that is not Zimbra's fault, but rather the way in which Microsoft chooses to do Outlook updates during their monthly (Patch Tuesday) patch cycles. You can find some more details about it under the topic "Repeated Registry Update Prompts From the Zimbra Connector for Outlook (ZCO)" in this post: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68214&start=20#p297493

When Microsoft pushes out an Outlook patch, they often opt to do a reset of a significant portion of the Windows registry keys related to Outlook. Outlook add-ins, such as the Zimbra Connector, rely on storing settings within these same Outlook registry keys, as required by the Outlook API for add-in integrations. This reset process in effect prevents certain features in the Zimbra Connector (such as search) from operating correctly following the install of an Outlook patch. So, in more recent versions of the Zimbra Connector, it now checks by default upon start-up to ensure that the required registry settings are present under the Outlook registry keys. If not, it shows a prompt asking the user to allow it to re-add the needed keys. Some of these keys can be re-added without Windows admin privileges, while others cannot. This is why, if you answer "no" to the start-up registry keys missing prompt, certain features in the Zimbra Connector no longer work.

It is just another example of an anti-competitive Microsoft behavior that makes it difficult for a a non-Office 365 service to compete by routinely sabotaging the registry keys for an Outlook add-in (the Zimbra Connector). A better solution is to look at proactively migrating Outlook users to other open platforms, that are free and clear of the Office 365 lock-in, such as the Modern UI in Zimbra 9, if not the Classic UI in Zimbra 8.8.15 or 9.
patrickwilson82
Advanced member
Advanced member

Thank you for the explanation. That's pretty much what I figured. Sadly I will probably be going to Office 365. I don't really want to leave Zimbra, but it's not my call.