ZCB setup - errors in the event log

Are you using the Zimbra Connector for BlackBerry? Post your comments and questions here.
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="bbarnett"]Ok, I've figured out what's up. This is an older server, and for some reason BES is starting too quick on boot. The database server is accepting connections when the BES tries, but the BES database itself is not ready when the BES tries to log in.
EG:
BlackBerry Professional Software database-dependent services do not start when using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 on the same computer
So, I'll have to use their suggestion, since they have no workaround (bleck.. how about trying again in 10 seconds, after bootup? It isn't that difficult, RIM!)[/QUOTE]

thanks for the link, i'll have to keep this in my back pocket for other users that have similar problems.
this is actually a good example of how the functionality of ZCB is very dependent on BES functioning properly with or without ZCB installed. its a good idea to check the RIM forums at the same time as posting issues on these forums.
kbigger

Post by kbigger »

[quote user="10339alee"]Hi John,
... Regarding the error messages. They are not fatal error messages and we are aware of them.
I was wondering what your plan was for this BES. How many users do you plan to provision ...
--Tony[/QUOTE]
We have BES and are currently at 68 users. Yesterday I had to reboot the BES for unknown reasons. As part of the post mortem I found the App event log fill with the error messages mentioned here. The BES works fine once again but we are soon going to double the number of BB user. Sincere apologies if I read too much into your comment "How many users do you plan to provision...", but it appeared you were concerned about increasing numbers of users in the presence of these non-fatal errors.
Can you elaborate if there is any to be made, on the ramifications of these errors? At best I would like to find a way to clean them up if only to optimize BES resource utilization. And at worst, I'd like to head off future problems caused by increasing the number of users beyond some unknown (to me) threshold.
Thanks

Keith
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="kbigger"]We have BES and are currently at 68 users. Yesterday I had to reboot the BES for unknown reasons. As part of the post mortem I found the App event log fill with the error messages mentioned here. The BES works fine once again but we are soon going to double the number of BB user. Sincere apologies if I read too much into your comment "How many users do you plan to provision...", but it appeared you were concerned about increasing numbers of users in the presence of these non-fatal errors.
Can you elaborate if there is any to be made, on the ramifications of these errors? At best I would like to find a way to clean them up if only to optimize BES resource utilization. And at worst, I'd like to head off future problems caused by increasing the number of users beyond some unknown (to me) threshold.
Thanks

Keith[/QUOTE]
Hi Keith,
There is no corelation between the non-fatal errors that you are seeing and the number of users that you can provision on a given BES instance. The reason why I say that most of the "errors" that you are seeing in the BES logs are non fatal is because we've seen some "let's try it this way, oh that didn't work, let's try it this other way, oh that works" regarding the usage of ZCB within BES. So errors will be logged when things do not work a certain way but work in an alternative workflow. We don't work 100% like how BES vs. Exchange works under the scenes but BES still finds a way to send data to from Zimbra via ZCB.
In terms of the number of users supported during this BES BETA....we do not recommend more than 15-20 users on a given instance right now. We have a plan (and are testing a solution) that will give you the ability to make that better by an order of magnitude but we are not there yet. the user limitation limitation is a combination of some internal changes that we needed to make to ZCB and some Microsoft limitations that they have claimed are "working as designed". We'll have more details as they become available sometime around the GA of the product. That's all i can really say for now.
--Tony