Testing a Blackberry in our Zimbra environment

Are you using the Zimbra Connector for BlackBerry? Post your comments and questions here.
sadams@bigrocksports.com
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sadams@bigrocksports.com »

I would like to test out a Blackberry in our Zimbra environment. We are currently using iPhones and the Moto Q for smart phones. It looks like getting the Blackberry working in our environment is going to be much more involved. I want to make sure I have the correct steps to get this working.
We run our Zimbra server on RHEL4 - 64 bit running ZCS 5.0.9. I plan to install the BES/BPS software and Zimbra BES Connector on a Windows 2003 Server.
I would appreciate any help with these processes:
1. Install Blackberry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Professional Software 4.1?

I have a license for BlackBerry Professional Software 4.1 for Microsoft Exchange, but is that different than BES? If so, is BES something I have to purchase from Blackberry? I have tried to install the Blackberry Professional Software on the Windows 2003 Server, but get an error "The MAPI subsystem cannot be correctly initiized and used." near the end of the installation.
2. Install Zimbra BES Connector 5.x.x.
Is there any documentation for the settings to use to link the BES software to our actual Zimbra server?
3. Configure and test the actual Blackberry.
Is there any documentation for the settings on the Blackberry so that it syncs to the Zimbra/BES server?
Thanks for any help,

Shannon
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="sadams@bigrocksports.com"]I would like to test out a Blackberry in our Zimbra environment. We are currently using iPhones and the Moto Q for smart phones. It looks like getting the Blackberry working in our environment is going to be much more involved. I want to make sure I have the correct steps to get this working.
We run our Zimbra server on RHEL4 - 64 bit running ZCS 5.0.9. I plan to install the BES/BPS software and Zimbra BES Connector on a Windows 2003 Server.
I would appreciate any help with these processes:
1. Install Blackberry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Professional Software 4.1?

I have a license for BlackBerry Professional Software 4.1 for Microsoft Exchange, but is that different than BES? If so, is BES something I have to purchase from Blackberry? I have tried to install the Blackberry Professional Software on the Windows 2003 Server, but get an error "The MAPI subsystem cannot be correctly initiized and used." near the end of the installation.
2. Install Zimbra BES Connector 5.x.x.
Is there any documentation for the settings to use to link the BES software to our actual Zimbra server?
3. Configure and test the actual Blackberry.
Is there any documentation for the settings on the Blackberry so that it syncs to the Zimbra/BES server?
Thanks for any help,

Shannon[/QUOTE]
when you download the latest ZCB (BETA 3) there should be some docs that you need to closely follow. the installation order is very important and if you follow them, you shouldn't have any installation related issues.
that being said, BlackBerry Professional Edition is sort of a BES lite. ZCB will work with both software packages. i, personally, prefer working with a full BES because the UI is a bit more powerful (e.g. you can see the users pending delete and purge them). to get a full BES, you would need to purchase BES for Exchange licenses instead of the free Professional Edition license.
so make sure that you follow the docs and then let us know if you are having any other issues. these forums have a wealth of information regarding other problems that people have been seeing so some of that information might help you if you run into some hiccups.
--Tony
Baylink
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Baylink »

Tony: are you the resident BlackBerry guy there?
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="Baylink"]Tony: are you the resident BlackBerry guy there?[/QUOTE]
I would say so but there are a bunch of people here with enough state to help you out if you have any issues. Support is very knowledgeable regarding the issues that you might run into while installing/running ZCB and BES. Also, there are some forums users that are getting really experienced running the application.
--Tony
sadams@bigrocksports.com
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sadams@bigrocksports.com »

Tony,
So, I need to install the BES Connector 5.x.x first and the documentation will be extracted out of the installer .exe file? When I downloaded the connector, I don't recall seeing/receiving any dox.
Thanks,

Shannon
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="sadams@bigrocksports.com"]Tony,
So, I need to install the BES Connector 5.x.x first and the documentation will be extracted out of the installer .exe file? When I downloaded the connector, I don't recall seeing/receiving any dox.
Thanks,

Shannon[/QUOTE]
there should be either a seperate link to the docs or there should be a package that has the docs and the installer for ZCB. the docs are not part of the ZCB MSI. if you still can't find the docs...private message me with your email address and i will send the latest and greatest to you.
Baylink
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Baylink »

[quote user="10339alee"]I would say so but there are a bunch of people here with enough state to help you out if you have any issues. [/QUOTE]

Ah... but I'm not interested in BES... for the reasons that I outline in this other (orphan) thread.
Could you read and perhaps comment?