Duplicate address book entries

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
sadams@bigrocksports.com
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sadams@bigrocksports.com »

Running ZCS 6.0.8 RHEL5 64-bit
I have one user who is constantly getting duplicate address book entries. Several times per day, he will have up to 15 contacts in his address book that are duplicated between 2 and 60 times each. He manually deletes the dups and within a few hours to a day, it happens again. He seems to be happening to the same 15 or so. It doesn't always duplicate all 15 or the same number of times. This has been happening for months and is not the result of a recent upgrade.
He is using a Mac and maintains his address book in the address book on the Mac side (running Connector for Apple iSync 6.0.8). We haven't been able to nail it down to a specific function he does to cause this.
Can someone please lead me in the right direction as to how to resolve this? Is there a log file on the server that I can check to see if a specific address book entry is causing the problem?
Thanks for any help.
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

Duplicate contacts is a common issue. I would also ask if your user has a phone or other device with which they sync contacts. But that's just for the sake of zeroing in on the common factor(s) involved with this issue.
What I've found is that if you disable iSync and then go into ZWC to clear out the duplicates, you eventually "kill" the bad record that's causing the duplication.
This can be very useful: Contact Cleaner | Zimbra :: Gallery
MarkBell

Post by MarkBell »

I've been having this issue for a while now and it only occurs when I create a new Address Book entry in Mac OS X. I'm using version 6.0.2300 of the iSync connector and have it configured to sync only my Address Book once per day. The result is that I get a duplicate entry on Zimbra for about 6-10 entries, but not in Mac OS X's Address Book. Deleting the duplicates in Zimbra does not fix the problem; I must remove all entries in Zimbra and create new entries on my iPhone or Zimbra, but not in Mac OS X's Address Book. Any thoughts on this problem would be appreciated.
fyd
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fyd »

[quote user="ewilen"]Duplicate contacts is a common issue. I would also ask if your user has a phone or other device with which they sync contacts. But that's just for the sake of zeroing in on the common factor(s) involved with this issue.
What I've found is that if you disable iSync and then go into ZWC to clear out the duplicates, you eventually "kill" the bad record that's causing the duplication.
This can be very useful: Contact Cleaner | Zimbra :: Gallery[/QUOTE]
I've had to come across this issue, I think it happened when sync failed, and duplicated every time the user tried it again and again. But I didn't know about this zimlet, and had hard luck deleting them from backend too, cause each contact had unique ids. Thanks Elliot for the zimlet link. Truly very handy.
fyd
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fyd »

Hi Chris. Thank for the information. Well, I guess you didn't mention anything about your Zimbra product or if you had to face this situation of duped contacts in zimbra .. :)
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="fyd"]Hi Chris. Thank for the information[/QUOTE]Unfortunately he's a spammer, now banned. :)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
fyd
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fyd »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Unfortunately he's a spammer, now banned. :)[/QUOTE]
hahaha! lol. I really had this weird feeling because he didn't mention anything about zimbra and that zimlet. I was just putting it up in a neat way hehe :p But you can say .. I didn't guess it coming actually, because I had this gmail thing mentioned somewhere in this thread.
So moderators are spam busters too .. :D
fyd
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fyd »

Thank you Bill for removing that, I'll look less stupid hehe..
gabe58

Post by gabe58 »

I am having the same issues, and sometimes the duplicates continue to 'breed' until they create thousands of records. I've Reset the contracts on Zimbra using the isync connector - but it still continues. I can't figure out why some contacts seem to sync, and others do not. What is also strange, is that I delete contacts in Address Book prior to the sync, and then when I check in Zimbra AFTER the sync, they are present. Those are also the more likely duplicate entries. I wonder if the iSync connector isn't pulling from a deleted section of Address Book. All I can say is that is is driving me insane.
gabe58

Post by gabe58 »

From what I can tell, if you delete contacts from Address Book, Reset Data, then the Contacts online in Zimbra will duplicate the deleted records. Others as well, but the deleted records do return. So why?