Recommended mac client for zimbra?

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
MACscr
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by MACscr »

I just got my first mac pro and its running lion on it. I have a Zimbra 7.1.1 NE server and I heavily rely on its calendar and contacts. What email client for OSX do you feel best connects with Zimbra?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="MACscr"]I just got my first mac pro and its running lion on it. I have a Zimbra 7.1.1 NE server and I heavily rely on its calendar and contacts. What email client for OSX do you feel best connects with Zimbra?[/QUOTE]How about a wild guess - Zimbra Desktop? :)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
MACscr
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by MACscr »

Thats obviously not a desktop client, its just a bloat POS web server running the webmail client. The "desktop" client provided by zimbra is a joke.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="MACscr"]That's obviously not a desktop client...[/QUOTE]Obvious to whom?
[quote user="MACscr"].... its just a bloat POS web server running the webmail client. The "desktop" client provided by zimbra is a joke.[/QUOTE]Fine, that may be your opinion it doesn't happen to be mine. If you don't want suggestions that don't fit your 'likes' then don't ask for them in a public forum. ;) If you want something that first your ideas of what a client should be then how about giving some criteria for what you want/need instead abusive comments.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
MACscr
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by MACscr »

Hey, I appreciate help, but obviously suggesting a webmail client wasnt really on topic. No matter how you put it, even if zimbra webmail is ran locally, its still a browser based client and not what I asked for. Its also horrible for desktop client replacement and i think you will find most agree with me, no matter what OS your on.
MACscr
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by MACscr »

Just wanted to apologize for my grouchiness in my earlier replies. I had been awake for about 30 hours and was a bit aggravated with the idea of paying $280 for Office 2011 when I only needed outlook, then to find there wasnt a connector for it for zimbra. Luckily im just trialing office right now. Who knows what i will end up using.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="MACscr"]Just wanted to apologize for my grouchiness in my earlier replies. [/QUOTE]That's OK, there's no apology necessary. :)
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
Tripple
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Tripple »

Webclient or Zimbra Desktop are best choises but you can stay with all the Mac app's if you like:

Mail: mail.app (imap, POP3)

Contacts: addressbook.app (CardDav)

Calendar: iCal.app (CalDav)

IM: iChat.app (jabber)
mickier
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mickier »

this post is getting stale, but Thunderbird with lightning and zindus is a great mac client - it will integrate calendar and address book with the web client, and best of all it will automatically keep imap folders in sync automatically.

It also displays repeating appointments correctly - Mac Calendar doesn't show repeating appointments that have a TIME - (but all day repeating appointments show fine)
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

As of Zimbra 7.1.1 and Lion 10.7.2, there have been a number of compatibility issues--to the point that I'm holding off upgrading to Lion across my Mac users.
ZCS 7.1.3 may make that moot.