Shared address books cant sync to iphone

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
Nicholas.Comeau

Post by Nicholas.Comeau »

Hello!

I have a client who is trying to set up a 'global' address list so that everyone in the company can have the same contacts.
The solution I came up with was to have an extra account under their domain share a calendar to everyone within the company- so they can all make use of it. Note that most of the users here use the Outlook connector.

The problem, of course, is that everyone uses the iphone- and if they move their contacts out of their local address book to this master shared address book, they will lose all contacts on their phone.
I can't figure out why the shared address books do not sync. I've tried setting up a cardDAV account to connect to the same mailbox without luck.

we can NOT connect every phone to the generic account, as it would then need a permanent password (which we're not willing to allow)
Any insight is greatly appreciated!

-Nick
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 P12

Post by ccelis5215 »

A member took an interesting approach...

Greetings">http://www.zimbra.com/forums/installati ... 3-lts.html
Greetings.
Nicholas.Comeau

Where the approach LHammonds is interesting, it is unfortunately not an option for us.
[quote user="4414LHammonds"]Global Address List for iPhones

This method uses a service account (dummy mailbox) to hold a copy of the GAL. Each iPhone user then adds an additional CardDAV account and enters the shared account's details.

[/QUOTE]

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/installati ... post230524"] Link to original post
As noted earlier, this would create a situation in which either:

a) every member of the company would have to update the CardDAV password every 120 days, dealing with lockouts inbetween, or

b) we set the account with a never-expiring password, which nullifies many of our security measures.

Since the mail server this client uses also hosts dozens of other clients for us, I also can't really modify the Zimbra system for them either.
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

Will be available in ZCS 8: Bug 60085 – iphone: sync with shared contacts
Note, though, that the actual GAL in Zimbra is available via ActiveSync to iOS devices. Not sure if you can put addresses into the GAL beyond those associated with Zimbra accounts/resources/aliases/DLs.
Nicholas.Comeau

ewilen,

thanks for the update!

I had actually put in a bug report a few days after this thread died, and it was closed with the same solution.
cheers!

-Nick