Zimbra 8 <-> iOS, shared cals

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
gent_911

Post by gent_911 »

Hi gents,
I have browsed all the messages in the forum, but still haven't found the solution to the problem:

3 accounts - A, B and C. A has a calendar and shares it with B and C. B and C sync their calendars with their iPhones (btw - B and C setup CalDAV accounts).

And here it goes - B and C do not see the shared calendars on their mobile devices.

Is it fixed? will it be fixed?
PS: a common account for everyone is no options for me.
Thank you
mfehr
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mfehr »

I have the same situation with 3 accounts: A represents our shared calendar, B and C are our "personal" ones. It worked perfectly until Version 7.2. I upgraded to V8. I still see all subscribed and shared calendars on the account BUT I cannot create an event on the shared calendar anymore. This worked in 7.2 and before with the same calendar configuration on Zimbra.
This is how I setup the calendar on the Zimbra Web interface:

- For User A, I created a separate calendar (i.e. name is different to "Calendar") to share with the other users B and C. I don't recall why I did this; might this be the reason why gent_911 was not successful yet?

- User A shared this calendar with B and C with the following rights: View, Edit, Add, Remove, Administer

- User B and C have accepted the calendar sharing. The calendar shows up in his Calendars

- User B and C both have a CalDAV entry created to their own calendar. They now should also see the additional calendar selected. In iOS, make sure, the calendars are selected to be visible on the calendar: Select the Calendars button on the upper left corner and ensure all calendars you want to see are ticked on.
Until V7.2, User B and C were able to create appointments for both their own as well as User A's calendar. Since V8, the calendar of User A is read only. On iOS, the shared calendar does not appear in the list of available calendars to put it on, on iCal on OS X 10.8, the shared calendar of User A is greyed out indicating it is read only
As a work around, I now have to add the User A account on all devices from User B and C. This is not so nice but doable for the 2 of us. It would, however, not be acceptable in a larger environment with e.g. a shared project team calendar.
Why is did this behaviour change in V8? It seems to me a bug in the access mgmt. Will this be fixed in 8.0.x?
gent_911

Post by gent_911 »

Thank you for your fast reply.
[quote user="mfehr"]

- User B and C both have a CalDAV entry created to their own calendar. They now should also see the additional calendar selected. In iOS, make sure, the calendars are selected to be visible on the calendar: Select the Calendars button on the upper left corner and ensure all calendars you want to see are ticked on.

[/QUOTE]
The above point is not exactly right. I do not even get shared calendars listed on any of my iOS devices. The only calendar available is 'Calendar' and that is about it. Both B and C do not see shared calendars at all.
--

Best regards
dosch

Post by dosch »

Weirdly enough you can get to see all shared calenders by switching OFF iCal delegation in Zimbra Preferences... You can see shared calenders then, but still not edit them, even if you have admin or write rights.

Since delegation doesn't work anyway I don't see any problem in doing so...
This is true mainly for iOS calendar
In iCal I can now edit and see calenders for some reason after enabling delegation...
Problem is now I have to choose between having access to shared calenders on my Mac or being able to view at least the shares on my iOS devices..
mfehr
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mfehr »

See https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=78288 to get work arounds for Apples Calendar app on OS X 10.8 and 10.7 - With the user setting to enable delegation for Apple CalDAV calendars and the work arounds, I can now work with the delegated calendars on all OS X and iOS platforms.
MACscr
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by MACscr »

[quote user="mfehr"]See https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=78288 to get work arounds for Apples Calendar app on OS X 10.8 and 10.7 - With the user setting to enable delegation for Apple CalDAV calendars and the work arounds, I can now work with the delegated calendars on all OS X and iOS platforms.[/QUOTE]
Maybe im blind, but I do not see a solution posted for iOS devices.
mfehr
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mfehr »

[quote user="MACscr"]Maybe im blind, but I do not see a solution posted for iOS devices.[/QUOTE]
The iOS issue was fixed after the calendar setting on the zimbra admin console for the user was changed as follows:
Preferences > Calendar

"Enable delegation for Apple iCal CalDAV client"
After this setting got changed, the remaining problem resolution was only about different behaviour of the iCalendar app in OS X
MACscr
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by MACscr »

[quote user="mfehr"]The iOS issue was fixed after the calendar setting on the zimbra admin console for the user was changed as follows:
Preferences > Calendar

"Enable delegation for Apple iCal CalDAV client"
After this setting got changed, the remaining problem resolution was only about different behaviour of the iCalendar app in OS X[/QUOTE]
Im not sure what you are talking about, but when you enable delegation in zimbra, the calendars will no longer work in iOS devices and cant be edited. iOS does not support delegation. At least not the way Zimbra is handling it in Zimbra 8.0.2
Andre81

Post by Andre81 »

Hi @ all,
I have the same issue, the shared calendar doesn't work correcty in iOS device. I can see all appointment but i can't edit nothing.

Seems a problem regards roles in zimbra.
Any work around for iOS device?
Another things, I've tested all type of url with caldav, and the behaviour is very crazy...

i.e, in order to work with lightning (thunderbird plugin) i have to use this url:
https://ip_zimbra_server/dav/user_with_shared_calendar@domain_of_user/shared_calendar>
with">https://ip_zimbra_server/dav/user_with_shared_calendar@domain_of_user/shared_calendar>
with this url the lightning calendar with zimbra works flamelessy
In iOS 6.1.1 device I've test all kind of url:
https://ip_zimbra_server/dav/user_with_shared_calendar@domain_of_user/shared_calendar>
STOOOOPPPPPP">https://ip_zimbra_server/dav/user_with_shared_calendar@domain_of_user/shared_calendar>
STOOOOPPPPPP WHILE WRITING THIS POST, THE SHARED CALENDAR BEGAN TO WORK, SO NOW IT WORKS

-------------------------------------------------Below the explanation of what I've done------------------------------------------------------
I've modified the file like as mentioned mfehr in bugzilla
this is the command in zimbra server as root:
cp /opt/zimbra/jetty/etc/jetty.xml.in /opt/zimbra/jetty/etc/jetty.xml.in.bak

nano /opt/zimbra/jetty/etc/jetty.xml.in
Then make this change:
change from
false
to
true

Then (as zimbra with "su - zimbra" ): zmmailboxdctl restart
The delegation tab is set Enable from the account that share the calendar
Now from iPhone with the url https://ip_zimbra_server/dav/user_with_shared_calendar@domain_of_user/shared_calendar> I can view and edit the calendar.
Try it.
A.

Note about software version: Zimbra 8.0.2, Thunderbird 17.0.2, Lightning 1.9, iOS 6.1.1 iPhone 4s
myriad
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Zimbra 9.0.0_ZEXTRAS_20211118.FOSS

Post by myriad »

Unfortunately we are with 01 so I can't edit the files on their server. All I know is, it has really impacted our productivity at our office to the point we are now looking for a Zimbra alternative!