zimbra helper app and OS X 10.5

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
griffon

Post by griffon »

I'm noticing that whenever the zimbra helper app (v5) runs the cpu usage goes nuts. It also spins up syslogd into a frenzy and between the two of them over 100% cpu is eaten until the zimbra helper app quits out, then the syslogd calms down as well. I probable wouldn't have noticed but on the MBP it this cycle forces the fans on and that gets damed annoying every 5 minutes :).

Not sure what I should capture on this but I can reproduce it easily (just by waiting for forcing a sync)
jpoole

Post by jpoole »

I've seen similar behavior. In fact, when I try to resync, the whole process hangs half-way through reloading my calendar entries. All I can do is force quit. :mad:
sculi2000
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by sculi2000 »

Which version of the iSync Connector are you using? In early versions of the 5.0 connector, the connector was logging to the console in addition to it's log files, which caused a problem with Leopard's new syslogd implementation. More recent versions have fixed this problem.
Assuming you have a more recent version of the iSync Connector, what is being logged to the console? There were some stray logging output that has been cleaned up in the soon-to-be-released 5.0.2 version, but nothing that would cause the type of CPU load that you are describing.
Thanks,
Scott
jpoole

Post by jpoole »

v.4.5.1571
I did get it fixed by erasing the sync history from the iSync preferences panel. What version should I be using?
griffon

Post by griffon »

[quote user="sculi2000"]Which version of the iSync Connector are you using? In early versions of the 5.0 connector, the connector was logging to the console in addition to it's log files, which caused a problem with Leopard's new syslogd implementation. More recent versions have fixed this problem.
Assuming you have a more recent version of the iSync Connector, what is being logged to the console? There were some stray logging output that has been cleaned up in the soon-to-be-released 5.0.2 version, but nothing that would cause the type of CPU load that you are describing.
Thanks,
Scott[/QUOTE]
I have version 5.0.1.1897
pcsupport

Post by pcsupport »

Zimbra isync module version 5.0.2100
I too have this problem. The CPU usage scoots up to 80% or more and the mac crawls to a halt.
Mac's activity monitor reports that the ZimbraHelper is constantly crashing and the amount of virtual memory increases dramatically (I killed the process once it got to 5GB!)
As you can see from the screenshots it is just not behaving itself.
Any clues what I can do about it?
It is OS X 10.5.2, clean install and fully updated.
Picture 4.jpg
pcsupport

Post by pcsupport »

i've found an answer of a sort.
I disabled calendar syncing and went to the caldav route. Works like a dream so the problem is obviously syncing the calendar part of zimbra