iCal and ZCS, is this the correct behavior?

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
ArTT Vandelay

Post by ArTT Vandelay »

My environment:

ZCS trial v5.0.6

mobileme with .mac account

leopard 10.5.4

ical 3.0.4

zimbra isync 5.0.2301
contacts sync just fine

calendar seems to sync, and in ical there is a new subset of calendars from the zcs server, but those calendars don't sync to mobile me, and hence don't sync to my iphone.
is this supposed to be the case? since they are actually separate caldav servers?
Thanks!
rwa

Post by rwa »

This is really a MobileMe issue. Apparently MobileMe syncs CalDav and subscription calendars between multiple computers, but it won't display them in the web interface. See:
Apple - Support - Discussions - Subscribed Calendars? ...
If you are using MobileMe to push content to your iPhone it will push from the web interface, so you won't get any CalDav or subscription content.
However, apparently (I haven't tried this) you can have multiple "push" email accounts (say MobileMe and Zimbra) and allow both to push data to the calendar on the iPhone. You can't combine push and iTunes sync, but you could push from MobileMe and a Zimbra server (but again, that's only what I've read).
Good luck.
ArTT Vandelay

Post by ArTT Vandelay »

Thanks, i'll read up. I'll let you know if I can get zimbra calendar to sync...
ArTT Vandelay

Post by ArTT Vandelay »

So, thanks for the reply, and of course you are correct, it's a limitation with mobileme.
my question is then does the open source edition of ZCS support caldav? because obviously ical can open/sync with caldav without the need for the isync connector...
Thanks!
rwa

Post by rwa »

Yes, the open source version supports caldav, so you can use that plus iTunes sync to get Zimbra events onto the iPhone's calendar.
You can also access the Zimbra web interface from the iPhone and it will provide a web site tuned to the iPhone. However, it doesn't allow editing or creation of events yet (though that seems to be planned).