Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
bbska

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by bbska »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Every week is impressive, there'll be nothing left to develop in 12 months if you continue at this rate. :eek:
I have this pathological desire to install the most recent version of software that I use (with a suitable backup, of course) so this'll keep me happy for a while. :)[/QUOTE]

In general I'm the same way. What's in the dev install that isn't in 3.0.1?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="bbska"]In general I'm the same way. What's in the dev install that isn't in 3.0.1?[/QUOTE]
Some new IMAP code, a couple new features and lots of bug fixes. I'm sure there are also some new bugs... Consider it a little adventure.
bbska

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by bbska »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]Some new IMAP code, a couple new features and lots of bug fixes. I'm sure there are also some new bugs... Consider it a little adventure.[/QUOTE]
I may have to run it in a test environment before I push it to our production environment.... We're looking for all of the new features we can get but not at the cost of instability :-)

not the kind of adventure we want :-)
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="bbska"]I may have to run it in a test environment before I push it to our production environment.... We're looking for all of the new features we can get but not at the cost of instability :-)

not the kind of adventure we want :-)[/QUOTE]
There is no way you should run it in production. The are DEV builds. They will eat your mail and may cause your system to crash!!
If that scares you stick with the release builds. If you're a bleeding edge type then by all means use the dev builds. We do! ;)
jml75
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by jml75 »

What is the lastest build that is considered stable?
I installed 3.0.1_GA_197 for debian 3.1
Is it considered stable or should I use a prior build? Like the 3.0.1_GA_160? Or is there any debian build considered stable?
By the way, what does the GA stands for?
Thanx, keep up the good work!
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by 14319KevinH »

GA = general availability
At this time we only have dev builds for Debian. Once we get some more reports of problem free installs and we do some QA we'll offer it as a release build.
jml75
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by jml75 »

What's the main difference between release 3.0.1_GA_160.DEBIAN3.1 and 3.0.1_GA_160.FC4 apart that their for two different distros?
Is it the same code base? Is there any unfinished work in the debian one because it is not marked as stable yet? Or are they identical and the debian one is there because it is not marked as stable yet?
Lots of questions but I like the product and really want to make the right decision in my choice of OS and zimbra release.
Thanx for your help!
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by 14319KevinH »

Different distros keep libs and dependencies in different places, they also use different pkging formats. The Zimbra code is identical but the resulting pkgs are tailor for each OS. SO since the Debian pkging, install, config has had limited testing we've yet to consider it a released and supported OS.