[SOLVED] share Address Book with Client MAC

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
gabriel.garcia

Post by gabriel.garcia »

Good day, I'm new in Zimbra, so I need to share my Address book with a mail client of MAC it is posible?

The client of Mac is "Mail" the version of the Mac is OS X, so when I send by e-mail to the client for share my Address book to the client of MAC show me like a > .

Thak's for you help
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

Hi gabriel-

What client are you using? Are you using Apple Mail as well?
gabriel.garcia

Post by gabriel.garcia »

Thanks for answare, yes we use a Apple Mail, do you have any solution???

[quote user="jholder"]Hi gabriel-

What client are you using? Are you using Apple Mail as well?[/QUOTE]
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

The iSync connector doesn't support address book sharing. You can accomplish this through the Zimbra Web Client.
2527benton

Post by 2527benton »

Thanks for the clarificatin, jholder.
It has been stated that the 5.0 iSync Connector will support shared Zimbra Calenders. Do you know if it will support shared address books as well?
Thanks,

-b
sculi2000
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by sculi2000 »

We're still trying to figure out the best way of mapping contact folders to AB. AB has the notion of groups, but groups aren't folders. The 5.0 connector has the ability to sync shared address books (we've turned it off in the beta builds thus far), but if synced, all the contacts from a shared contact folder currently just go into the All group in AB. That doesn't seem like the correct approach, but since AB doesn't have a notion of real folders, it might be the best we can do.
Also, AB doesn't have any notion of permissions, so it will allow you to edit a contact that was shared read-only. That could get very confusing for users.
Suffice it to say, there are some issues to work out with regards to how the sync and AB play together.
Thanks,
Scott
2527benton

Post by 2527benton »

Thanks for the rapid response, Scott.
When playing with the connector and AB, I figured there could be a one-to one-mapping between AB groups and Zimbra contact lists. That's how I have my own, non-shared contact lists set up. Even though I had to use the iSync connector to import each of my four AB contact groups separately into Zimbra's generic "Contacts" folder, then move them into their own Zimbra folder with the same name, this was a one-time process -- the contacts now seem to sync just fine, preserving the Zimbra folder and AB group on both ends. I figure the shared Zimbra contact folders could work the same way: the connector would keep a local AB group in sync with the shared (or non-shared) folder of the same name in the user's account. No?
As far as the permissions problem, I see the dilemma. I suppose that at sync time, the connector itself could warn the user that "changes to this calendar or contact list are not allowed from this account".
Anyway your statement that there are lots of issues surrounding this problem (that most of us users have never even had the opportunity to consider) certainly has the ring of truth to it. Please accept the above ideas as humble design suggestions, and our thanks for making the product as great as it is already.
-b
sculi2000
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by sculi2000 »

We're taking design suggestions on this anywhere we can find them, humble or otherwise! The humble ones are a lot nicer to read though. :-)
Your suggestion was the route we were going to take, however it's complicated by the fact that Groups in AB can also be personal distribution lists. For those, we clearly wouldn't want to create a contact folder in a Zimbra mailbox. Then it starts to get ugly...some groups you create folders for, some you don't. And since your Zimbra mailbox can also contain personal distribution lists, do we create groups for those? So as far as we can tell, it's not a clean 1:1 mapping. In any event, we're thinking about this problem and we're hopeful we'll come up with something that makes sense.
Thanks again for the suggestions and kind words. We're grateful for both.
Take care,
Scott
johnsbrn

Post by johnsbrn »

If you could access shared contact lists through LDAP, that would be accessible to the Mac address book.
gabe58

Post by gabe58 »

I know this is years old, but has ANYONE found a reasonable way to manage contacts on a Mac? There is no solution as far as I can tell. The iSync connector does't work...