Calendar Sync via Caldav to Thunderbird (Lightning) stopped working

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
jahlives

Post by jahlives »

Hi forum
today all over sudden the sync via Caldav to Thunderbird (Lightning and Caldav Plugin) stopped working. I know a lot of people here might say the same "I have not changed anything" ;-) but I really didn't change one piece on my Zimbra for the last weeks. I use the following zimbra version

su - zimbra

[zimbra@webmail1 ~]$ zmcontrol -v

Release 8.0.6_GA_5922.RHEL6_64_20131203103705 RHEL6_64 FOSS edition.

I use a URL like this to access caldav: https://mydomain.tld:4433/dav/user@mydo ... d/Calendar

Port 4433 is forwarded to zimbra's LAN IP on port 443. But I also tried with https://lan-name/dav/user@mydomain.tld/Calendar

Same effect: Thunderbird cannot access the calendar. The strange thing is that TB does not even ask for the password. I deleted the stored password from TBs password-manager but does not help. TB does not ask for a password. I deleted the calendar from TB, removed and reinstalled the two plugins (lightning and caldav) and at the end even re-installed Thunderbird but all does not help.

But when I call one of the URLs above in the browser I get asked for a password as expected and I get the txt file with the calendar definition stuff. I use TB 24.5.0 on fedora 20
Thanks a lot for any input as I'm running out of ideas :-)
tobi
gren

Post by gren »

If you enable trace logging for dav for the user using something like:
zmprov addAccountLogger user@mydomain.tld zimbra.dav TRACE
does that give you any useful information in mailbox.log?
jahlives

Post by jahlives »

Hi
thanks for the advice. Will try it today after working.

But actually I think it's only a Thunderbird problem. As caldav with my smartphone works fine.

I checked the error console of TB and saw that TB believes that there is no valid DAV collection. And TB throws several times the DAV_NOT_DAV error
Cheers
tobi
jahlives

Post by jahlives »

The trace gives me not one line when I try to connect from TB. As reference I checked with my smartphone which gives me the loglines expected. With tpcdump I can see that my TB sends pakets and that the zimbra server replies back. But not one line in trace log with TB. Unfortunately the connection is SSL only so I cannot look into the pakets.

So it's for sure no zimbra problem. Hope it's still okay to have this problem here in the zimbra forum. I have the hope that some TB users might have experienced similar problems :-)
Thanks
tobi
gren

Post by gren »

Very happy for you to use the Zimbra forums for that kind of thing - other Thunderbird with Zimbra users may be interested too :)

Best of luck,

Gren
jahlives

Post by jahlives »

@gren

but it seems not to be a very widespread problem :)

Because I was courious I just bootet my Win7 for the first time in months. Has TB 24.3 installed. Same there no connection to zimbra caldav anymore. TB in Win shows same DAV_NOT_DAV errors in the error console. So I guess the problem is not OS related as I have the same effects on Win7 and Fedora20. To only constant is TB itself and the lightning+caldav plugins. Although I have different TB versions between Win and Fedora. But if TB or the plugins are the reason then more people should have this problem ...

I think Mr Murphy does not like me at the moment :D

Will try and make a VM with a new Fedora20, then install TB and the plugins and see what happens
If anyone here has any idea what else to try to solve this problem I'm glad for any input
Cheers
tobi
jahlives

Post by jahlives »

Finally I got it :-) But not before installing twice Fedora as VM again. Both times TB could not connect

Then I thought what I changed last week my other servers. Ups yes it created a new key and a new certificate and revoked the old. But did I replace the certificate on zimbra? Nope. I placed the new files on all my servers but forgot zimbra :D

After rolling out the new cert on zimbra and a short restart of services TB immediatly asked for a password.

I just wonder why not one browser complaint about the cert when I tried to access the caldav url with the browser. chrome and firefox asked for the password, no warnings about cert shown.

This time TB did right to cut the connection, but a more "speaking" error message would have saved me hours :-)
Cheers
tobi
gren

Post by gren »

Thanks for reporting back. Guess that is one to remember :)