Mac Yosemite and CalDav - Many problem

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
melibokus

Post by melibokus »

Here is our current findings with OSX Yosemite and Zimbra 8.5p2. The default Calendar.app is not playing well with Zimbra and CalDav.
1) Timezone Handling.
An invite from a Zimbra user in a different timezone on any platform other than Outlook/Windows to a Mac Yosemite/Mavericks Zimbra CalDav user will be added with an incorrect time. The Yosemite/Mavericks notification center will display the correct time but it will be added to Calendar.app with the timezone information stripped. e.g. an invite for 7pm CST will be added as 7pm Local. We have a case open on this one. (this was not a problem in Zimbra 8.0)
2) Create meeting does not forward to external invitees
Add an appointment and add an external invitee - the invite is never sent (this worked in Mavericks)
3) Meeting modification does not forward to external invitees
Modify an appointment and the update is never sent (this worked in Mavericks)
4) "Revert" a meeting deletes the meeting from the Calendar
Previously when modifying a meeting the "Revert" option would undo any changes (this worked in Mavericks).

We realize that some of these problems are probably Yosemite Calendar.app issues only. We think that the the first problem (timezone handling) is logically the format of the ICS file so could be fixed by either Zimbra or by Apple. None of these problems have been seen when using BuyCal for Yosemite but our users who do not have BusyCal unfortunately see this as a Zimbra issue.

How are other Zimbra 8.5 users getting on with Yosemite and Calendar.app ?
JoeMcKinney

Post by JoeMcKinney »

definitely having problem # 2 and #3. not being able to send external invites is a problem (minor understatement)
colin7151

Post by colin7151 »

We can also confirm problems 2 and 3. Any word as to if there is anything Zimbra can do to work around whatever the problem is or if we are stuck waiting on Apple ?
Gren Elliot
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Gren Elliot »

With regard to 2 and 3, Yosemite appears to have dropped support for the mechanism Zimbra relies on to provide scheduling. This was actually a draft standard on the way to RFC6638 (but is radically different). I'm working on support for RFC6638 at the moment. See https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=69984 to monitor status. The advantage of supporting RFC6638 is that it will be possible to do scheduling with other devices, for instance those running iOS and Android (with, say CalDAV-Sync) .

With regard to 4, I've seen instances where we provide what I believe is the correct error when Calendar.app tries to update an item it has a stale view of and Calendar exhibits rather odd behavior. I'm not sure if that is the problem you are referring to or not.
colin7151

Post by colin7151 »

Thank you for the very quick response ! Do you have any rough feel for how far off an update that includes RFC6638 is ? Thank you :)
aokunev

Post by aokunev »

We've just migrated to Zimbra Network Edition and lived fine for a couple weeks with Maverik. Now that functionality is broken for people who migrated to Yosemity - majority of users. Thank you for implementing missing functionality - looking forward to have it fixed.

regards, Andrey
Matriches

Post by Matriches »

I am trying to migrate my company to upgrade to Yosemite, and over to apple calendar, but if Yosemite has broken the link between Zimbra and Ical, then I can't do it. Is there any news on a fix for this from Zimbra or Apple?

Thanks,

Mat
Gren Elliot
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Gren Elliot »

See https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=69984 to monitor status. Currently targeting 8_6_0 which is the next major release which shouldn't be too far away. Note that because of the extensiveness of changes required, I suspect it is unlikely that we would backport the fix to earlier releases.
Matriches

Post by Matriches »

Thanks, I've had a look at that, but I'm not very tech literate, so is there a plain English answer that will help me.

Kind regards,

Mat
Gren Elliot
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Gren Elliot »

8.6.0 and later versions of Zimbra Collaboration have much improved CalDAV scheduling support.
In particular, Apple Calendar on Yosemite is supported for scheduling.
You should also see improved support for other devices - iPhone and iPad now allow you to schedule meetings and accept meeting requests.
Android with CalDAV aware applications like CalDAV-Sync (which is a Sync adapter which allows you to add CalDAV accounts so that their calendars integrate seamlessly with native calendar applications) also now allow scheduling capabilities.
Hope that helps.