Wrong date on Import/Export

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
fabry_68

Post by fabry_68 »

I have exported all my datas from Zimbra Desktop, and now I am importing back all the data (with import/export functions); all is ok but the "received date" of the messages is not the original one, but is the time when the message is imported.

How can I preserve the original "received date" on my messages ?
Thanks, Fabrizio
tfr

Post by tfr »

What version are you using. Also, can you please to a "tar tfvz xxxx.tgz" on a Unix system and check the file dates of messages that are imported with incorrect dates.
Also, did you delete msgs and then import for the test or import into an account where the msgs still exist? Do all msgs have an incorrect date or just some?
Todd
fabry_68

Post by fabry_68 »

I don't have here my computer but i was using the last release (it has the automatic update) of zimbra desktop; i am using this zimbra server release (zcs-5.0.9_GA_2533.RHEL5.20080815132719).

When I import the messages, all of them have the date and time when they are imported.

I try to explain you better what happens; i have my account on the server and I have the zimbra desktop fully synchronized. I have deleted my account on the server, and I create it again from scratch. My zimbra desktop had all the messages but not the server; so I exported the messages and imported them again; importing them, the server was synchronized back with all the messages, but with the date and time of the import.

I have noticed that the messages on the storage directory has the correct date and time, but the mysql entry was wrong. So I wrote a small php program that scans all the mysql database for entries of type 5, find the file on the storage, read the "Date:" row, and updates the entry on mysql... so now I have my messages with the correct date.

But i guess that there is a simplest way to restore all the messages from zimbra desktop to zimbra server :)

Thanks in advance, Fabrizio Cuseo
tfr

Post by tfr »

Thanks for the details - I needed the fact that you were using a Zimbra server rather than IMAP or other server. It looks like locally created msgs were not being synced with the local date and so the remote server assumed the current date.
I checked in a fix and it will make it into RC3 for tomorrow. Please upgrade to that version and let me know if it resolves your problem
Bug 36239 – local to remote msg zimbra sync does not preserve date
mlanner
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mlanner »

Hi there,
I have a similar issue, but it's not related to Zimbra Desktop, but was likely caused during import from Outlook to Zimbra using the Outlook Import Wizard.
I just did a pretty large migration for an individual client the other day. Now he is seeing old emails from 2006 show up with the received timestamp of the date of the import. It's not consistent across his account, it's only on some emails.
The user's mail was originally in Outlook Express, so I first imported from OE to Outlook, then from Outlook to Zimbra. I haven't had access to his machine since the import, so I can't 100% tell for sure if the timestamp issue was introduced between OE and Outlook, or between Outlook and Zimbra.
Any comments/ideas of how I could fix this without having to re-import his mail would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
tfr

Post by tfr »

An alternative is to set up the zimbra server as an IMAP connection on your OE/Outlook client and then drag/drop msgs between servers
mlanner
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mlanner »

Yeah ... I've done that once ... on a HUUUUGE account ... it was the only thing that seemed to work. It wasn't that much fun to do a manual import. :( This account "only" had 3.5GB of email. Can't see myself (again), or the client, dragging and dropping that amount of data. :eek: